Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Lies of Locke Lamora a trilogy or more?

Hi All,

I was thinking about starting The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch as I have heard good things about it.

I know there are 3 books out but it looks like its projected to be an 8 book series. I'm not sure if I want to start it with only 3 books out. For some reason I had it in my head that it was a trilogy.

So.....does each book have a self contained story? Or does one trilogy have a self contained story?

Thanks!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The first book is almost entirely self-contained. The second is mostly self-contained with just a few big teases for the third book left dangling. The third book (so I'm told) leaves the reader pretty-much "in the lurch."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The first book is almost entirely self-contained. The second is mostly self-contained with just a few big teases for the third book left dangling. The third book (so I'm told) leaves the reader pretty-much "in the lurch."
Completely agree on the first two. I haven't read or even looked for reviews of the third yet, so I can't comment on that.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've read the third. It's still a self-contained story. There are elements that run across the books, but each one feels like it has a beginning, middle and end.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I've read the third. It's still a self-contained story. There are elements that run across the books, but each one feels like it has a beginning, middle and end.
I would like to confirm this and strongly recommend the first book in the Gentleman bastard series (Lies of Locke Lamora) on its own. It is a great read and up until now the strongest novel in the series. If you do not feel like starting a new series just read this book and stop there.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
How much longer does The Republic of Thieves keep going on PAST its self-contained "ending" compared to the first two books?
Old 04-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all, looks like the first book at least is a go.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Sounds like a good read. I've added it to my wish list. Which already has over 100 books

I think I should start buying some of the books on the list
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I've only read the first one, but I thought it was fantastic. Loved it!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:38 AM   #10
bucsie
Connoisseur
bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
How much longer does The Republic of Thieves keep going on PAST its self-contained "ending" compared to the first two books?
Third volume - once the story is wrapped up, there is a person that does some super-cryptic fortune telling for the main character. And
Spoiler:
the supposedly incapacitated villain rises again.

Edit to add: The books wrap up the stories pretty neat, without cliffhangers from one book to the next. It's just that in the later books there are a few references to the previous ones, so they should be read in order.

Last edited by bucsie; 04-18-2014 at 03:41 AM.
bucsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You must have a different definition of cliffhanger than I do. Because I'd say the ending to Red Seas Under Red Skies almost defines the technique (especially when there was no book three in sight at the time).
Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru

So I just finished reading The Lies of Locke Lamora and thought it was a blast. It is definitely a self contained story with everything wrapped up at the end. I look forward to the next two books...sounds like 2 ends in a cliffhanger but 3 wraps things up satisfactorily.

On a sidenote, I wonder if the book was an inspiration for the videogame Dishonored....the book and game seem like they could easily take place in the same town.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Even though 2 ends in a classic cliffhanger (after the main plot is wrapped up), I wouldn't hesitate to recommend reading it (even if 3 wasn't published yet). It may leave you hanging as to what does happen next ... but what doesn't happen isn't all that hard to predict.