Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
T1 COntinous loading

Had an interesting problem with my T1... after loading some new books via drop box I was getting a continuous loading icon in the status bar... everything seemed to work ok but I couldn't get rid of that loading icon not even a soft reset shifted it... I finally tracked it down to one of the epubs I had just downed apparently it was corrupt and the brian-dead T1kept trying to display it in that useless "recently added" display on the main page.. you would think there would be a time-out on something like that .. but no... it just kept right on... I couldn't delete it the sucker it wouldn't let me... I ended up plugging it into
the pc and using windoze explorer to delete the offending book... that cured everything... as a former software developer that sort of bad code design bugs me no endanyways if the same happens to you you now know what you have to do.....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Not really the T1's fault, and I think any e-reader would have issues with a corrupt book file (I know the Kindle continually tries to index it for search purposes which drains the battery a lot quicker than it should).

This is why it's good practise not to load too many books onto your ereader at the one time. Makes it easier to identify which book is causing the problem and delete it.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Oh well, we are so good trained end-users!
Instead of improving soft/firmware have the user to bend.

Sorry, this is T1's fault, may be other e-reader will also fail on bad-files, but I have to agree 100% to bla, it shall be best practice in coding to "catch" such events.

Last edited by Mark Nord; 11-27-2012 at 06:05 AM. Reason: typo
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah that was my point....you never code something like that without a time-out or a specific number of tries or at the very least an error routine for a corrupt file... it just indicates bad software design or a lack of proper QA but then Sony is hardly noted for brilliant software... having said that I love my T1
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I know what you mean about poor software, but was just pointing out that AFAIK, all e-readers would have trouble with corrupt files in this way, the T1 is likely no worse or better than any other.

I could be wrong but I wonder if it's that a) it's not really an issue with ebook files bought directly from retailers so therefore not something they need to bother about (if you get your ebooks from elsewhere that's your problem not theirs), or b) it's not much of an issue so something they've never really bothered about in the first place?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
bla
E bookworm

It was actually a conversion from html that caused the problem... normally I would run an epub through calibre to reset the font and strip out the css font information but for some reason I didn't do it with this file... it loaded ok in SIGIL which reported no problems.. it's no biggy just thought I would advise t1 owners in case they had the same problem it's just that file handling is pretty basic and it should be handled better on the t1