Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
What are your favorite ebookstores for ADE epubs?

I love my Sony Readers, but I don't love the Sony ebookstore -- so I'm looking for alternative vendors from whom to buy ADE epubs.

What do you think of Kobo? Are Kobo-ized epubs still a problem?

How's Books-a-Million?

What about Books on Board?

Any other favorite epub vendors that sell to U.S. customers?

Thanks!
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I usually buy ePub's from Kobo (AFAIK they fixed the Kobo-izing issue, I haven't been having a problem), Diesel eBooks, and Books On Board.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I get most of my epubs from Kobo. I never use the kepubs and only ever download into ADE and then Calibre.
In almost 2 years I have only had one book which had major problems. I notified Kobo hoping they could replace it with a "corrected" book but they offered me a refund instead. As I was able to fix the worst of the problems in Calibre I opted to keep the book and didn't bother with the refund.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I always buy from Books on Board. I've had no problems with any of my books (other than one old book that had a strange font that gave me codes for " and ' in two chapters only )

I decided to only buy from one store so I wouldn't have my purchased library in several stores in case I had to re-download them.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Kobo are good. They have nice discount codes, too, which can be used on non-Agency books. Eg, I've just picked up Ted Dekker's "Circle" series at a 90% discount.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the input everyone!

@HarleyB - how do you make sure you get the ADE epub and not the kepub?
Old 04-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
@HarleyB - how do you make sure you get the ADE epub and not the kepub?
Download from the "My Library" page of the Kobo website. You'll always get the ADE version that way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Kobo definitely for the discount codes.

I overall hate the site though - especially that you can't search and then list by publication date. I usually search books on Amazon and then I head to Kobo to see if I can get a better price with a code.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Thanks for all the input on Kobo. Very helpful.

Anyone buy books from Books-a-Million or should I cross that off my list?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I use all of those plus ebooks.com because it does a better job of suggesting books and it seems to have a better than average choice of social science and history books.

I also use my favorite local independent bookstore. By going through them I can get local support almost as good as B&N. The books actually come from Google Play which is where my library of books is located.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
My two favorites are Books on Board & Smashwords.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I use all of those plus ebooks.com because it does a better job of suggesting books and it seems to have a better than average choice of social science and history books.
I like ebooks.com for non-fiction books too. They frequently have 20% off coupons as well.

I stopped buying from Kobo in December because of the hit-or-miss Koboized issue. I was tempted by a coupon in March, and the book I bought still had the problem! So some but not all books have been fixed. Kobo also has a good app for your smartphone or tablet.

I also like BooksOnBoard. They have a rewards program.

Christianbooks.com has a really large selection of religious ebooks.

I didn't know BAM had an ebookstore. They haven't expanded this far in the Western US yet so I've never been to one of their stores.

If the book is agency priced, then I stick with the Sony store since I have Sony ereader models that can access the store wirelessly.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I also use my favorite local independent bookstore. By going through them I can get local support almost as good as B&N. The books actually come from Google Play which is where my library of books is located.
Not sure if you are aware, Google has cancelled their partnership with independent bookstores as of January 2013: http://www.infodocket.com/2012/04/05...llers-program/

There are rumours that perhaps Kobo will step in since they already team up with local booksellers internationally.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
I used to prefer Google's e-book store, because of the partnership with local bookstores (which is now ending, as Synamon said). I expect that I'll continue to buy from Google, but will probably increase the percentage of books that I buy from Feedbooks, Kobo, B&N, and Books on Board. I've purchased books from all of them, and have been very satisfied. I strip the DRM from everything I buy, so that's not an issue for me.

I should also mention that I have a favorite European source for things that are otherwise unavailable due to geographic restrictions, but I'm going to refrain from naming them lest someone kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. :-)
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Not sure if you are aware, Google has cancelled their partnership with independent bookstores as of January 2013: http://www.infodocket.com/2012/04/05...llers-program/

There are rumours that perhaps Kobo will step in since they already team up with local booksellers internationally.
I know and I was really disappointed. The indie's have a few months to work something else out.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote