Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #15901
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Prophecy by Tianna Xander. I bought this back in April 2009. I'm not sure why. It doesn't look to promising so far.
Abandoned. It's a SF/Gods/Magic Romance without anything to recommend it. (That is, it just uses SF/Gods/Romance as a backdrop. There doesn't seem to be any thought given to the implications of any of the background.)

Next up: Subterranean Scalzi Bundle by John Scalzi. An omnibus of some of his shorter works that I bought in November 2012.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #15902
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Next up: Subterranean Scalzi Bundle by John Scalzi. An omnibus of some of his shorter works that I bought in November 2012.
And the first one, "How I Proposed To My Wife: An Alien Sex Story" is splendid. I am very pleased that I bought this one.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #15903
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.
That was a really funny and enjoyable read.

Next: Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #15904
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
This was a book club selection late last year and I really enjoyed it. The writing is fantastic. Interested to read what you think of it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #15905
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've been experimenting with different genre lately, with my read of '11/23/63' and 'Pines.' Now I've begun what I believe to be Fantasy with Robin Hobb's "Assassin's Apprentice." Just a few pages into the book, and so far it reminds me of the beginning of the movie "A Knight's Tale." If the book is half as much fun as that movie was, I think I may be in for some pleasant reading!

Stitchawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Let me amend this to read: 'A Knight's Tale Meets Game of Thrones.'

Stitchawl
I was about to tell you not to expect that much fun, but then I saw you figured that out yourself. Well, don't give up hope yet. Witty remarks are sometimes grim, but not that rare. Especially when Fitz gets close to the Fool.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #15906
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
And the first one, "How I Proposed To My Wife: An Alien Sex Story" is splendid. I am very pleased that I bought this one.
That is one on my to be bought list. If you ever get a chance to see John Scalzi in person, do so. He's quite good. I saw him when he came near by on his Redshirts tour. He did mention the Alien Sex Story.

One thing I really want to get borrow from the library is the Redshirts audiobook. It is narrated by Will Wheaton and from the way Scalzi described the sound effects, it sounds quite funny.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #15907
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
This was a book club selection late last year and I really enjoyed it. The writing is fantastic. Interested to read what you think of it.
This is one of those books that kids get forced to read in English class and one of the reasons reading is going downhill. English class should read more modern up-to-date books that are not written in a style that's long gone and not so dull that it makes kids not want to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #15908
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is one of those books that kids get forced to read in English class and one of the reasons reading is going downhill. English class should read more modern up-to-date books that are not written in a style that's long gone and not so dull that it makes kids not want to read.
So you're saying that Ethan Frome and many of the other classic novels are written in a dull style?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #15909
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
That was a really funny and enjoyable read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Here's the link for the discussion of Ethan Frome, if you're interested in checking that out when you've finished Gazella20.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #15910
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Guardian of Night by Tony Daniel. On its surface it sounds like a science fiction version of The Hunt for Red October but the world building and detail are simply fantastic and incredibly realistic. It's also one of the few science fiction novels I've read that features a total alien as the main character i.e. pretty much slugs who communicate by scent.

Last edited by xg4bx; 03-14-2013 at 10:31 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #15911
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Here's the link for the discussion of Ethan Frome, if you're interested in checking that out when you've finished Gazella20.
Thanks Synamon. I've chosen to read this book because of this thread
Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #15912
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just finished "Clutch of Constables", the 25th book in the "Inspector Alleyn" series by Ngaio Marsh. This was perhaps the best book in the entire series so far for me. I can't put my finger on any one thing - it just gripped me from start to finish. Interesting story and good characters. The story is told in "flashback", as Alleyn gives a lecture to trainee police officers at a police training college. He tells the story of the mysterious events which unfolded when his artist wife, Troy, went on a river cruise, and how it led to the capture of a major international criminal. Very, very highly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #15913
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just finished 'The Rats,' by James Herbert and it was a fun, joyful and bloody read!

I recommend it to all those who like these nasty littler buggers, especially when they squeal in alarm.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #15914
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
So you're saying that Ethan Frome and many of the other classic novels are written in a dull style?
My mom and I were discussing this not long ago, and she pointed out that (most) schoolkids don't have the life experience to appreciate the themes of these classics. Ethan Frome bored us kids something awful back in high school English class.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #15915
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I started reading Stephenie Meyer's The Host because of the upcoming movie and I'm enjoying it much more than I had expected. I say this as someone who hasn't read any of the Twilight novels but has seen parts of the movies on TV.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote