Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
Wow Mr. Jordan, after reading some reviews and excerpts, it seems like these books would be right up my alley so I've taken the plunge and purchased them. As it turns out, I am an old school Star Trek fan and a huge Firefly fan so I'm looking forward to reading them.
Yes, with that background you should feel right at home in the Kestral stories. I've mentioned before that the original inspiration for Kestral was the idea of a Star Trek universe spinoff, back when Deep Space Nine was winding down, and Paramount was thinking about what to do next. I thought a series that finally explored the life of Federation citizens that weren't members of Star Fleet would be a great direction that other shows had only scratched (DS9 coming closest).

When I came to my senses and realized that I'd never get close enough to sell it to Paramount, I reworked the stories from a Trek universe to a more "realistic" universe in my opinion. And as it turned out, my more realistic universe turned out to have a lot of similarities to the Firefly universe... so much so that I began wondering if Whedon had somehow hacked my PC! (Damned Alliance agents!)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Steve. Just bought all three!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
And as it turned out, my more realistic universe turned out to have a lot of similarities to the Firefly universe... so much so that I began wondering if Whedon had somehow hacked my PC! (Damned Alliance agents!)
Firelfy being one my favorite pieces of SF, that's a high bar to live up to in my book. I look forward to getting into Kestral 1. Just debating whether to read the last two Hunger Games books before seeing the movie, but other than that, this is now at the top of my eye-reading lists.

From the excerpt, this book seems written in significantly different voice than Oujiboard...or Weeniesance, or Onuiessence...or whatever the last book of yours I tried was called....

Was that intentional, or just a factor of having been written at different times in your career, or is it just my imagination?

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
From the excerpt, this book is written in significantly different voice than Oujiboard...or Weeniesance, or Onuiessence...or whatever the last book of yours I tried was called....

Was that intentional, or just a factor of having been written at different times in your career, or is it just my imagination?
The Onuissance Cells (pronounced Onn-uh-sonse... like Renaissance --helpful Steve) were my very first writings, done years before the Kestral novels; I'd learned quite a bit about writing in that time. I've also tried to use different voices, depending on the scope of the work, and I was going for more of an adventure feel, bordering on pulp, with the Kestral stories vs a more academic voice in Onuissance.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Sale ends with June

I'm bumping this with an FYI: The Kestral sale will end at end of June (or thereabouts), so if you haven't picked up some or all of the series yet, or you haven't alerted one of your (thousands of) friends to this deal, now's the time!

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-11-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #21
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Just remembered you said the Kestrel Voyages offer was going to finish at the end of June so I've bought all three based on liking your Onuissance stories.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Well, I guess that "Hurry! Sale ends soon!" stuff actually works!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #23
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I decided to buy all three. I've got them in the queue to read.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #24
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Well, I guess that "Hurry! Sale ends soon!" stuff actually works!
Pricing them at $0.99 helped too.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, sci-fi, steven lyle jordan, the kestral voyages