Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #31
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Then it is definitely an epubcheck bug! I took a look at their code and it appears not to track the end svg tag and so every anchor following an svg section appears to the epubchecker to be an svg anchor tag when it is not. I did doublecheck and you do have the proper svg closing tags in place. So this is their bug, not yours.

Thanks for checking.

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 03-07-2016 at 04:37 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But the problem is that you might not be able to publish this eBook because it does not pass epubcheck.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #33
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Then it is definitely an epubcheck bug! I took a look at their code and it appears not to track the end svg tag and so every anchor following an svg section appears to the epubchecker to be an svg anchor tag when it is not. I did doublecheck and you do have the proper svg closing tags in place. So this is their bug, not yours.
Oh, I'll take your word for that, but it's nice that it's not me (or, rather, my book)!

Also, from Wolfie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the problem is that you might not be able to publish this eBook because it does not pass epubcheck.
Actually, I already updated the previous EPUB2 version that was up on the iBooks store (as of last week) with the new EPUB3 version, and the new one is up there now -- bear in mind that I had no errors, though, just "warnings." Perhaps Apple uses something other than epubcheck to validate books? In any case, they accepted it, no prob.

Thanks, guys, this has actually been great! I'm sooooo happy to have that audio file included now -- makes all the difference for that particular chapter (about Thoreau's favourite song), of course.

Look forward to that next version of Sigil coming out, too! Keep up the AWESOME work on that!
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it did pass epubcheck.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:35 AM   #35
Bertrand
Zealot
Bertrand began at the beginning.

Device: None
Correction to my first post

Quote:
I have the same error message in one of my epub.
I have two inline svg, no links inside, no links in the whole xhtml file.
Actually I have 3 links following the svg tag.

I made a test.

Current structure :
Code:
<body>

<svg>
    </svg>

<a ...>
    <a ...>
    <a ...>

</body>
Epub-Checker (v4.0.1) reports 3 warnings.

Test :
Code:
<body>

<a ...>
    <a ...>
    <a ...>  

<svg>
    </svg>

</body>
No warning.

Kevin must be right. There's a bug, Epub-Checker doesn't see the svg closing tag.

Last edited by Bertrand; 03-12-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #36
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW, I did report the issue in github for epubcheck 4.0.1 and they have acknowleged a bug and said a fix would be in the next release.

See: https://github.com/IDPF/epubcheck/issues/680

Betrand, you might want to add your test results above as they are quite conclusive proof of a bug as my hypothesis was just based on eyeballing the code. It would allow them to easily create a testcase to prevent future reversions.

Take care,

KevinH
Old 03-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #37
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
FWIW, I did report the issue in github for epubcheck 4.0.1 and they have acknowleged a bug and said a fix would be in the next release.

See: https://github.com/IDPF/epubcheck/issues/680
Out of curiosity, I took a look at that thread, and I see that you wrote ("5 days ago") the following...

Quote:
After further, examination, one report of this issue seems to be caused by an xhtml anchor "a" tag with href attributes that link directly to an svg image tag deep inside of an svg section of code and not to the xhtml div tag that wrapped the svg tag.
That sounds vaguely familiar as per our discussion about my book in this thread (here) but you'll recall that I did make the suggested change (i.e. moving the ID from "deep inside of an svg section of code" to the wrapping div instead) and still continued to get that error.

Last edited by Psymon; 03-12-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #38
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes , which is why I then posted, I was not sure that it was even a bug. And then followed that up with, what I saw from eyeballing their code about not clearing their inSVG flag.
That lead to my post #31 here. Bertrand's nice test confirms it.

So yes, my bug report at epubcheck github was all based on the conversations here in this thread about the warnings and your and Bertrands tests and comments. Those warnings and the inability to prevent them was clearly an issue.

KevinH
Old 03-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #39
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
So yes, my bug report at epubcheck github was all based on the conversations here in this thread about the warnings and your and Bertrands tests and comments.
Oh, okay. It's all over my head, in any case -- which is why I'm here, I guess (to learn something, with any luck).