Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
RFA07
RFA07 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Open Market Anti-DRM EReader

Hello;

I'm looking for an 'E'Reader' that would be good in the area of
non-proprietory e-book web-sites.
Where there would be no digital rights management controls
put on what is downloaded.

Also, I have over several years built up a library, now stored on disks,
of my favorite books which are non-drm. Which I would also like to access with an ereader.

So the bottom line, is, what is out there in this category of EReader?

Thank you,

r
RFA07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
None of the mainstream readers (Kobo, Kindle, Sony, Nook) will restrict you from adding non-DRM material to your reader (AFAIK Nook reserves part of it's memory for Nook proprietary books, but that's as close as a restriction would come). You are better to look at what format your books are in (likely e-pub) and get a reader that easily accepts that (although Calibre will let you convert format). The DRM is on the actual book file, so the reader just needs to be able to decode that (rather than DRM being imposed by the reader).

Last edited by robko; 01-12-2012 at 10:26 AM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All readers will let you read DRM-free books. The fact that they also support DRM doesn't mean that you can't read books whih don't have DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
RFA07
RFA07 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for your very helpful advice!

r
RFA07 is offline   Reply With Quote