Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
kmj1
kmj1 began at the beginning.

Device: B&N nook & Sony PRS-300
gear diary review

Not trying to troll here but I ran across the gear diary review after a recommended link from the gadgeteer site. Wow.

http://www.geardiary.com/2009/12/13/...yped-hardware/

Not good me thinks. Hopefully B&N will RAPIDLY get a patch out to make this better and save face.
kmj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This is a thoughtful review by someone who actually reads ebooks.

The B&N Windows app seems to have the same issue with "side loaded" content as described here - no thumbnails of the covers. I'm not sure if it also has the bug that corrupts eReader metadata.

The most serious issue, though, was that side loaded content, or at least DRMed eReader ebooks, can't go on the microSD card. This might be "user error", but if not this is one more thing to fix in future firmware updates.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is a thoughtful review by someone who actually reads ebooks.

The B&N Windows app seems to have the same issue with "side loaded" content as described here - no thumbnails of the covers. I'm not sure if it also has the bug that corrupts eReader metadata.

The most serious issue, though, was that side loaded content, or at least DRMed eReader ebooks, can't go on the microSD card. This might be "user error", but if not this is one more thing to fix in future firmware updates.
User error - I placed all my Ereader DRM books on my MicroSD card without a problem and only only book had bad meta data (book name is garbled); however on the B&N PC application the book name is fine..
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
User error - I placed all my Ereader DRM books on my MicroSD card without a problem and only only book had bad meta data (book name is garbled); however on the B&N PC application the book name is fine..
That sounds like a character encoding problem.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
Gabey8
Gabey8 began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC XO-1
I got the nook for Christmas and was able to load about 40 eReader books onto the microSD card and install the card in the nook without difficulty. The nook recognized all the books and presented the titles to me without garbling.

I did, however, download a firmware update 1.1.1 before doing anything else with the nook. Perhaps the firmware update cleared up some of the issues that the reviewer described. So far, the only problem I'm having is putting the nook down to take occasional breaks from reading.
Gabey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert