Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
pcmedic
Enthusiast
pcmedic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Genre

Mine has shipped but not arrived yet, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. As I add content, is there a way to organize it by genre, or by read/not read, or does it only organize by title/author? Thanks.

David S.
pcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It has built in sorts by Title, Author, Date & Collections. Collections are something you create so you can call them whatever you want (kind of like a playlist). I have some by genre, like SciFi TBR, some by author & some by series, it just depends.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
pcmedic
Enthusiast
pcmedic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Thanks for your help! Your the best!

David S.
pcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Been here?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505

you can download the manual from there as well.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I keep meaning to use Collections to sort my books by genres. Then I can't decide what genre they should be in...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I put my stuff on a spreadsheet to keep track of that kind of stuff. The nice thing about it is I can sort for unread then narrow it to a genre or the other way around. .

Plus I really just like Excel spreadsheets
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I put my stuff on a spreadsheet to keep track of that kind of stuff. The nice thing about it is I can sort for unread then narrow it to a genre or the other way around. .

Plus I really just like Excel spreadsheets
Hrmm... if you have lots of books and multiple books by the same author or in the same genre, a database might be better in the long term...

(Mind you, I like Excel too. I especially like writing scripts to automate things... OK - that sounds really sad )
Old 02-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Hrmm... if you have lots of books and multiple books by the same author or in the same genre, a database might be better in the long term...

(Mind you, I like Excel too. I especially like writing scripts to automate things... OK - that sounds really sad )
I tried to play with a DB, but had trouble getting it started. I don't know a lot about Access.

And it that is sad, then I don't want to be happy
Old 02-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
I tried to play with a DB, but had trouble getting it started. I don't know a lot about Access.

And it that is sad, then I don't want to be happy
I can do simple dbs, but when it starts getting into more complex relationships I end up confusing myself...
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I can do simple dbs, but when it starts getting into more complex relationships I end up confusing myself...
I honestly don't even know where to start But I can make a spreadsheet sing and dance One day I'll teach myself Access and see if I want to migrate it over. I like that I can run different tabs on excel (I have a few for different things, mainly what to buy). I don't know if I can do that with Access.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
you guys should take a look at Harvey. i think you might be the perfect candidates for it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you guys should take a look at Harvey. i think you might be the perfect candidates for it.
Is it only for ebooks?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well, it's for indexing files. ian designed it with ebooks in mind but i suspect you could easily use it to index mp3s, or photos, or eleventy-gajillion excel spreadsheets... try it out, you've got nothing to lose. you can just delete it if you don't like it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
I honestly don't even know where to start But I can make a spreadsheet sing and dance One day I'll teach myself Access and see if I want to migrate it over. I like that I can run different tabs on excel (I have a few for different things, mainly what to buy). I don't know if I can do that with Access.
You'd have different tables holding different information - so authors, genres, titles, format etc.

Then you'd have a form to input the data onto. The fields on the form are linked back to the different tables, so when you fill in a form, the data gets entered into the correct places.

Then you'd have as many different reports as you can think up to show you whatever you want to see - so all books in one genre by one author that you've read, for example.

To make it even easier, you then have a user interface with buttons on so you can just click to get the input form, generate a report and so on.

If you do go down the Access route, and you use the tab key to navigate between fields in a form, make sure you check the "tab order" is correct, otherwise you'll get horribly frustrated as each press of the tab key takes you somewhere unexpected!

Edited to say:

You'd also need to set up relationships - so one author can be related to many book titles etc

Last edited by ShortNCuddlyAm; 02-17-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Just off and look now - thank you!