Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Price drop on Iliad V2

In the Irex shop the V2 has dropped to 599 Euro.

So is the 100 Euro worth paying?

Having recently lost my PRS-500 I am in serious contention for buying an Iliad so any pointers would be greatly recieved.

Thanks, AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiR View Post
In the Irex shop the V2 has dropped to 599 Euro.

So is the 100 Euro worth paying?

Having recently lost my PRS-500 I am in serious contention for buying an Iliad so any pointers would be greatly recieved.

Thanks, AndiR
That's up to you to decide. If the WiFi is only used my Syncing... I don't see why I would pay the extra 100 and not get the Book Edition.

If you can use it with a web browser and use that like a basic browser tablet then I would pay the extra 100.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Well lets hope the "intersting things to come" will be a software enrichment of the v2 to use the WiFi for anything with purpose... right now just for software updates, its really not worth anything. I can plug in an ethernet cable say every 6 months or so. Thats really not justifing 100€ extra.

And I wonder if the v2 will be available in silver also, since it is said to be easier on eyes.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I'm sure the original intent of WiFi was to download newspapers daily. This has had some success, but I agree that WiFi is largely an untapped resource on the v2. Unless you intend to use WiFi every day, the "Book Edition" is the better option.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Damned - always the wrong timing ...

If you want you can buy an WLAN USB Stick for 20 Euro and plug it in the USB slot (perhaps you have to adjust the kernel).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
New Iliad it is.....

I think I will go for the new ILiad.

I need to read PDF's and this does it far better than a PRS-500 and I don't really fancy a full A4 ebook (if, when and with what battery life they come out with).

For connecting to the internets and the like, I have a laptop and I used my Sony mainly on the plane and in European hotels that charge (still) for wifi connections.

Is it expensive, yes, but in the medium term it is still cheaper than real books (and I still buy 3/4 of them from Amazon.co.uk a month).

Thanks for your thoughts on this!!!!!

Cheers, AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote