Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2014, 02:28 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Lost the USB lead

During the recent house move, I've mislaid the prs 505's usb lead; the one which transfers books from the computer to the reader. I charge my 505 using the Sony charger, bought at the time of purchasing the reader.

Does anyone know what I can use or where I can buy (in the UK, preferably from the internet - Amazon uk, maybe) a replacement and which one is the right one? I don't want to get something which will make my poor old 505 explode

EDIT: I've just found the usb lead for my mp3 player. The connections fit; will this be safe to use?

Last edited by BookCat; 02-04-2014 at 02:46 AM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Yes it's safe to use, the usb cable is just a standard usb to micro usb cable and all it does is transfer data between your computer and device, so you can use any one that you happen to own, such as your mp3 player or mobile phone usb cable.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe the 505 is a mini-USB, not a micro, isn't it? It's a VERY long time since I had one, so I may be wrong about that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
whatever - if it fits, use it, it will work- its just moving 0s & 1s

ignore any claims that spending $299 on an oxygen-free premium version will improve your life, clean out your ears & generally make you a better person

that's only true when it's sold by a hi-fi shop
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's definitely either mini- or micro-USB, one or the other.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i just keep one of each plugged in spare USB slots, anything I then need to connect or recharge will usually fit one or the other without crawling around the back of the PC stand... ( unless its a bloody-minded apple device ! )
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Ooops, I think you might be right HarryT, my 350 uses the micro USB but it looks like models prior to that were mini USB. So just ignore that part of my answer, as cybmole says, it is a standard USB cable and if it fits your device, that's all you need. It will work!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I've used the mini USB connector from my ancient Canon camera on my 505 for years. I'm certain that you'll be fine with your mp3 cable.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone. I'm about to transfer some books.

Later: It Worked!!

Last edited by BookCat; 02-04-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
roodap
roodap began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233749

i got 2 cables for my prs-505
you can vie the image i the forum
it wok fine. both have checked
roodap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Don't forget that the Sony has both memory stick and SD card slots. You can always copy your books to those too.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J

I have an SD card in the reader and now transfer most of my books to this. The 505's internal memory is very limited. Though my new paperwhite doesn't have memory expansion, it has a larger internal memory.

Tags
book transfer, usb