Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #556
Ridgeback63
Ridgeback63 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505 & PRS 600
I have had the Aura hd for a couple of weeks now and it is the best ereader I have had by far,I started with the sony 505 which I think is the best out of sony's offerings,then I had the first sony touch one with the poor screen,then the second sony one which was also a touch screen I forget the model numbers,but the Aura hd is head and shoulders above them IMHO,I'm really glad I bought it just struggling to get a decent,well made cover for it.
Ridgeback63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #557
Wilmo
Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: none
Thanks guitarchitect, samhy, Helen
All of my ebooks are scanned paperbooks (some are out of printbooks) which includes OCR to make words searchable so I don't know if I should take a big chance.
I'm surprised nobody use it this way.
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #558
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I've had my Aura for a couple of months now, and I've decided that the thing I hate most about it compared to the Touch is the appearance of shiny fingerprints all over the slick plastic bezel. I still don't like the feel of it compared to the Touch, but I've gotten used to it. It functions just fine for reading, and the various quirks of the UI don't bother me so much.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #559
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
The feel doesn't bother me too much but I do hate the fingerprints. My 650 never picked up any fingerprints.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #560
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
The fingerprints drive me crazy too which is why I applied a skin on the back and will probably go ahead and install the front piece.. Fingerprints are gone and it is less slippery while holding. There are solid colors as well as subtle to not-so-subtle patterns. I applied the black woodgrain skin and it looks very nice and does not detract from the elegance of the Aura. I highly recommend selecting the MATTE version as opposed to the glossy version:

Decalgirl Kobo Aura HD skins
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #561
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for your tips, Skydog.

Do the skins come in two pieces - for the back and the front separately? I'm looking at the textures (woodgrain or the like), because I find the patterns too distracting - assuming the front skin has the same pattern? Does it?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #562
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Yes, the skins are designed as two separate pieces for one's preference. I, too, prefer no distraction which is why I chose the black woodgrain. There are several very subtle designs, or solids, that would work well. I have used decalgirl products on other devices and the quality and customer service is excellent. As I previously mentioned, I would recommend ordering the matte version.

I might add that you need not worry about installing their skins on your Kobo. There is no sticky or chemical adhesive/residue involved. In fact, if carefully removed, they can be reused.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #563
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStyle View Post
I do prefer the brown Aura HD but I will wait a little longer cos KOBO and Amazon will annouce their new e-readers in a couple of weeks. If nothing suits me, Aura HD is the one. Hopefully, by then, the brown color will still be available.
Ah, I don't care much about future-proofing against it. I had some drama with getting a suitable Kobo for my nephew (ended up with a Glo, righteous device BTW), and returned two Aura HD's. Actually, returned one because of defect, the other got KIA'd in transport...but anyway, I really liked the design of it.

Besides, they'll announce new premium ereaders for sure, but so will Amazon. So bleh. That new Aura is just a a flatter profile with the ComfortLight, sans the higher resolution. Nice, but the Kobo Glo with a lesser light. Whoop.

Play the waiting game if you want, I just get the best at the moment and forget about it until nex time. Life's too short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
The fingerprints drive me crazy too which is why I applied a skin on the back and will probably go ahead and install the front piece.. Fingerprints are gone and it is less slippery while holding. There are solid colors as well as subtle to not-so-subtle patterns. I applied the black woodgrain skin and it looks very nice and does not detract from the elegance of the Aura. I highly recommend selecting the MATTE version as opposed to the glossy version:

Decalgirl Kobo Aura HD skins
Ah, that biz is pretty cool. And from what I remember of their decals, they were exceptionally high quality. I'd order one of those matte's for my upcoming Kobo, but I've got lots of 100-MPH tape sitting around. Butt-ugly, but that United States Army certainly got it right (hooah!) when they came up with it, or logcapped it, or started supplying it to soldiers, whatever they did - it's awesome backing for an ereader.

You can use duct tape, but that's for amateurs.

Last edited by Yamada; 08-29-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #564
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I'm considering one of those skins. Is there anything cheaper that does the same job?
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #565
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
I'm considering one of those skins. Is there anything cheaper that does the same job?
Don't know of anything cheaper, but using the code back2school will give you 25% off if ordered by midnight EST on August 31st according to the DecalGirl site.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #566
meson1
meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Espresso Kobo Aura HD
Plunge taken!! After more than a week's prevaricating I've finally plucked up the courage to order an Espresso (from WHSmith in the UK) complimented with a matte/satin Dark Burlwood skin from Decalgirl (thanks for the code, AnemicOak).

Can't wait now.

Last edited by meson1; 08-30-2013 at 09:58 AM.
meson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #567
tuxpeppe
tuxpeppe with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbittuxpeppe with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbittuxpeppe with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbittuxpeppe with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbittuxpeppe with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbittuxpeppe with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbittuxpeppe with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbittuxpeppe with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbittuxpeppe with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbittuxpeppe with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbittuxpeppe with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: kobo aura hd
I'm using kobo auda hd since one week and I have to say it's a good reader, but I don't like browser, because it has a continue refresh for every web page (6, 7 times only when it load a page), and you can't zoom or rotate pages...
tuxpeppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #568
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Now that Kobo and Amazon have announced their new goodies, I'm taking a serious look at the Aura HD again. The new Carta eInk on the KPW2 is appealing, along with what looks like pretty smooth software, but the size and PPI of the Aura HD are still unmatched. Unfortunately, it sounds like the glitchiness of the software is unmatched, too :/

Thank you for all of the reviews in this thread, especially those who have had the device for a while. It sounds like it might just be my best bet, given that the only feature I plan to use is the reader. Otherwise, content will be coming and going by way of my PC and Calibre.

My main reservation is the possibility of a new Android-based reader from B&N, with current-gen PPI and lighting, but I honestly don't think it would be a good business decision on their part and am inclined to bet against it.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #569
alexvi
alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, Kobo Aura HD :)
Out of stock in US, I can't believe it, was just in stock earlier today, i will never forgive it to myself if it's gone for good
alexvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #570
benovd
benovd began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm thinking in buying an Aura HD because of its great screen, but I'm afraid after reading how slippery it is. Is it so bad? Any working solution? Thank you for your comments.
benovd is offline   Reply With Quote