Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #31
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Tuesday for me (Amazon Prime ftw!

Will have it side by side with the Sony Reader to compare.

Oh, and Amazon have already assigned it a name and I've assigned it an email address and bought my first book! So far the whole Kindle infrastructure is living up to the expectations for such a device coming from Amazon.

Kinda hoping the display contrast might be a bit better than on the Sony, but it sounds like they use pretty much the same display.

Z.
See if it will let you download the ebook to your computer. I keep getting error messages.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #32
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
See if it will let you download the ebook to your computer. I keep getting error messages.
The AZW file downloaded to my desktop in about 5 seconds. No problems at all apart from there not being a darn thing I can do with thie file

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #33
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
The AZW file downloaded to my desktop in about 5 seconds. No problems at all apart from there not being a darn thing I can do with thie file

Z.
Rename the suffix to MOBI or PRC and see if it is encrypted. I assume you have a Mobipocket Reader.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #34
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I can download a book to my pc and Mobipocket sees the file and displays the title but I get an error message. Same message I get when I downloaded DRMed Mobi books before I registered my Mobipocket on my PC's PID.

My Kindle has been picked up from Amazon's warehouse in Lexington Kentucky.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #35
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
And renaming it from .AZW to .PRC doesn't make a difference.

It's the DRM.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #36
Zoot
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Rename the suffix to MOBI or PRC and see if it is encrypted. I assume you have a Mobipocket Reader.
It recognizes it as a .mobi file and goes out to the net and downloads the book cover image and the full burb text for the book. Trying to open it results in an error:

"The retailer AMAZON_1110 of the eBook <book name> has not been found in the list of Mobipocket partners."[...]

So it looks like they need only the will to make this happen at some point. I'm sure the content is non-trivially encrypted.

Z.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #37
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hmm that's interesting. It seems they use basically the same DRM scheme, just a different PID generation. I will need to look into it...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Z.
Well that should end the FUD going around that you have to be where EVDO can be received to buy and load a book. Well, probably not, people like to go on about their pet idea without regard to the facts.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #39
Zoot
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well that should end the FUD going around that you have to be where EVDO can be received to buy and load a book.
Also it's clear from the manual that you don't need EV-DO coverage for the device to work. It will fall back to the slower 1x RTT (or whatever it is) Sprint data network if you're not in true EV-DO coverage.

But this is definitely FUD-day

Will be interesting to see what people have to whine about tomorrow once people have the things to play with.

Z.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:16 AM   #40
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Will have it side by side with the Sony Reader to compare.
I cannot wait to hear what you say (please make some photos if you can!!)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #41
Zoot
Connoisseur

This thread also has probably out-lived it's stickiness.

Z.