Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #46
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Interesting discussion. I read a lot of fanfic, which on most modern archives is tagged with word count. (Older ones often tag with filesize, which is how I know that 40kb of text is roughly 7000 words.) I'd started paying attention to word counts when I first looked at Fictionwise; the multiformat books are described with word counts.

Today, I'm a bit miffed at any ebook store that doesn't have word count or filesize listed--what, I'm supposed to fork over $5 without knowing if this is a short novella or a mega-epic novel?

I regularly decide what to read for the day based on length. I don't know any way to sort my unread stack by length (I find Calibre rather baffling, and I haven't figured out how to not have it make annoying extra folders I keep tripping over, and anyway the books on my readers don't show length), but I regularly open them, check the page count in the reader, and decide if I'm up for that at the moment.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #47
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
No, I don't choose a book to read based on length, although I will sometimes consider it.

The only time I really consider length is when I'm loading books onto my Sony -- I tend to fill up the internal memory as much as I can, and sometimes I'll pull off longer books (bigger files) to make room for new smaller ones, or I'll sort by size in Calibre and try to "fill in" with shorter books until I can't get any more onto it.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #48
JCarig
Junior Bottle Washer
JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: all
decent books in a long series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I prefer long sagas and series. The story won't end that fast that way...

And reading a complete book in one sitting???? There are times where I can hardly read a few pages a day...
I gotta agree with Sweetpea. I love long sagas and series where I can lose myself for awhile. It used to be if each book in a series is 1000 printed pages, I might shy away. However, with the advent of ebooks, the length of the book means far less than it did before. The biggest reason is that I can read a couple of pages while standing in line at a local coffee shop, on the bus, in the car, etc... because Sweetpea is right - There are times where I can hardly read a few pages a day.
JCarig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #49
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
No, I don't select books on their length. When I was reading paper books I also didn't select books based on the color of the cover.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #50
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
On occasion I will temporarily re-order my book selections based on length. For example, I may have 10 days until my next book discussion group to finish the target novel for the month, so I may knock off a short one in the interim rather than start War and Peace. On the other hand, I never read digests or condensed versions, nor have I ever simply ignored a work due to its length.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #51
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I'm a slow reader so a long book is a big commitment for me. At the same time, I have a hard time quitting a book even if I'm not enjoying it. So, I will spend more time and mental energy deciding if I want to read a long book. Whereas with a short book, I'll dive right in.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #52
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I tend to leave novels for nighttime after my son is asleep and i can read in peace. During the day i stick to short stories, articles, etc that can be put down on a moment's notice.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #53
Sorilla
Sorilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPod, Android phone
It depends on a genre, for thrillers I prefer short length for fantasies - long one.
Sorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #54
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
300 pages max. Occasionally 400 to 500. Most longer books I find aren't worth the time and lack quality. Describing a table for two paragraphs is not my idea of talented writing...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #55
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
When I was working full-time, I used to like to read a book on Saturday and a book on Sunday. At that time I sourced my books from second-hand book stores, and I found Fontana's from the 70s were just about the perfect length for a day's reading. I must have read a few hundred of them.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote