Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Put your Sony Reader in High-Contrast Mode (white-on-black)

I bring to you a little program that will put the Reader into white-on-black (inverse color) reading mode. Many people find this mode easier on the eyes and small text appears more legible. This change will affect everything, including books produced by RasterFarian. This change is, of course, reversible.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Extract the contents of the rar file to an SD card. The SD card can have books and music on it, just take care to preserve the file paths.

Pop the card into the Reader and you'll be given a menu. When you're done, you can exit and read your books. To change the mode again, take out the card and reinsert it (this will re-activate the menu).

The engine for running code and drawing menus is based on Igorsk's excellent PRS Flasher (simplified and cleaned up a bit). The program itself accomplishes what it does with a special ioctl call. The ioctl call was discovered while investigating eInk programming for the RasterReader (a viewer application that I'm writing for the Reader).

Source is included.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Contrast Changer.rar (38.5 KB, 833 views)

Last edited by alex_d; 06-08-2007 at 12:41 AM.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:21 AM   #2
magogo
magogo began at the beginning.

interesting, has anyone already tried it?
magogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
_darius
Enthusiast
_darius began at the beginning.

Works without problems!

Yep, I just tried, but in my opinion, the ghosting effect is even worse in this "wob" (white-on-black)- mode...
_darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A photo would be interesting
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Congrats alex_t (and Igorsk). It's great to have custom apps for the Reader now!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
_darius
Enthusiast
_darius began at the beginning.

Some Pics...

I made two pictures, to show the ghosting effect.

I love to have a customizable reader now!

Thanx to the great guys of this great forum!!

Greetings from Switzerland
_darius
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT5190 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1404
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	3880   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT5192 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1268
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	3881  
_darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hmmm. The ghosting does seem to be significantly more noticeable in the inverted mode ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Hmmm. The ghosting does seem to be significantly more noticeable in the inverted mode ....
But it is up to the individual user if it's a bother or not. At least we have more choices now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it is up to the individual user if it's a bother or not. At least we have more choices now.
Oh I couldn't agree more! You're absolutely dead on.

I only meant that as an observation.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:21 AM   #10
alex_d
Addict

Hmm.. you guys know that variable resistor on the back of the Reader? I've adjusted it a while back to get the blacker black but as a result had to put up with more ghosting (not that i mind). However in white-on-black mode my Reader doesn't ghost. I think it's because the resistor makes the black more "forceful" and decreases white ghosting (while increasing black ghosting).

Anyway, my point is:

I'm thinking that people who are having ghosting problems might not have them if they switch to white-on-black.

Also, people who would really like to use this mode but can't stand the ghosting may adjust their resistor.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:31 AM   #11
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Alex_D -- thank you very much! What a wonderful discovery you have made and an excellent little utility to allow us to take advantage of it!

I just tried it, and outside of the need to remind myself that the battery display is now backward, I think I may be leaving the reader in this mode all the time. I'll know better when I get a chance to read it in bright sunlight.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Even if people don't take advantage of this little utility, the fact that it was able to be programmed and that Alex_D was able to program such an efficient little utility gives me great hope as to what might be possible from future programming efforts!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:58 AM   #12
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d View Post
I'm thinking that people who are having ghosting problems might not have them if they switch to white-on-black.
The unit I currently have ghosts something horrible, much worse than the other unit I've had my hands on. In the white-on-black mode, the ghosting is extremely difficult to see.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:55 AM   #13
alex_d
Addict

Quote:
The unit I currently have ghosts something horrible, much worse than the other unit I've had my hands on. In the white-on-black mode, the ghosting is extremely difficult to see.
You mean the ghosting is now much less noticeable? Cool
Old 06-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Antonio
Antonio began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d View Post
Hmm.. you guys know that variable resistor on the back of the Reader?
umm...no. Variable resistor? On the back?

I don't see anything on the back, aside from the reset button, the cover holder thingy, and a single tiny screw.
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

It's on the back of the circuit board inside the Reader, Antonio -- you have to open the case to see it.

You can see some pix here.