Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Actual battery life K3 WiFi

Can't say that I have been able to use the K3 for a month without recharging, as is claimed by Amazon. Granted, I use my WiFi K3 with Amazon's cover and as this is the Dark Period of the year I tend to use the book light a lot. I would say that I average about 3 or 4 hours on the Kindle in a 24 hour period. And I need to recharge it inside a week. I have WiFi on and off, seldom for very long, unless I'm in the Kindle Store browsing for new material. Hence, does the book light drain a lot of power?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
Yes, the light consumes much of a power. Lack of a backlighting is the cause to claim longer battery life on the e-Ink displays. My light is Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 with separate power - AAA batteries (i use LSD NiMH GP Recyko+ 2100mAh rechargeables). My Kindle 2 lasts 2 weeks after indexing - reading 2 hours a day and using 3G only to sync once a day for a minute or two or after a Kindle store shopping (I shop at the PC and switch 3G on to receive the book). So your battery life of 7 days is perfect if you are using the light.

Last edited by enkov; 11-16-2010 at 07:45 AM.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Yes I suspect the light does use quite a bit of power.

I noticed that I am charging my 3G every 1-1.5 weeks whereas my old K2 international could go for 2-2.5 weeks between charging. Of course I now have a light which I use maybe 1-2 hours per day. So yes I think the light makes a difference.

However, I really love the light and the extra flexibility it gives me to read under any lighting condition. And even having to charge just once per week is still good going compared with most electronic gadgets.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
There was a thread or blog which said that the use of the lighted cover would reduce battery life to about 20 hours. So calculate your daily lighted time based on that. I do not know how accurate that estimate was.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
20 to 31 days for me.

I leave my Kindle WiFi on all the time and use sleep mode. I read about 2 hours per day. I play one MP3 song each day. I use the standard cover without a light sold by Amazon initially with the Kindle WiFi.

I got 20 days on my first charge and 31 days on my second charge. However, I did buy and download a 27.7 Mb Unabridged Matthew Henry Commentary which did require the K3 to be plugged into an outlet for 12 hours to index it while preventing undue battery drain.

If you keep adding a lot of large books like encyclopedias and dictionaries, your battery will be drained by that. The average book is only 1.5 Mb and usually indexes without appreciable battery drain.

So far I am 18 days into the third charge cycle and the battery meter still shows 4 bars.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I am finding the Battery to be great as well. But what's the point in having an eInk display if you are going to drain all the battery with another light?
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
The point is to read at the dark places...
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I have not kept acurate records but leave the wifi on and only use the light occasionally. I know that I get at least 2-3 weeks of reading 3-4 hours a day without recharging.

Accessing the web, really seems to draw down the battery, particularly if you play one of the games.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
My first charge with my kindle 3 WiFi gave me this:
*24 days of use
*25314 locations read, which boils down to somewhere in the region of 2500 pages with the size and font I'm reading (plus that I know I have gone back a few pages a couple of times).

So I'm very satisfied with the battery performance!
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by baccilus View Post
I am finding the Battery to be great as well. But what's the point in having an eInk display if you are going to drain all the battery with another light?
The integrated booklight is awesome IMO. The benefit is that eInk is easier to read in most situations, doesn't draw excess power when it's not needed, but the integrated light means it's always available when you need it, no worries about forgetting to bring it.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
*25314 locations read
How did you come up with this number? Are you reading the system logs or something?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Yeah.. I think it really depends on how fast you read... My brother reads like 300 wpm and can get 60+ hours from my dxg...
I can read twice this and get much, much less (30-40?)

Either case, it's about 1800-2000 page turns

Also, I don't think dictionaries and such have to be indexed, might be wrong but it should be built into that?
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
I started to use my Kindle 3 on the 12th Oct, and so far charged it *once* (on the 6th Nov.)
It's been on, including Wi-Fi all the time except for 7 hours without Wi-Fi (in an aeroplane) and always left without actively "switching off".
I've downloaded about 100 books solely on Wi-Fi and now it shows (well, I don't know how many "bars", but) about 80% charge.
I've read 4 books and demonstrated it for 10-15 people, with a lot of "show-off" features.
I've bought 15-20 books on the Kindle directly and the rest via PC and/or mailed to it.
Only 3-4 books have been sideloaded.

So, for my part - the battery life is non-complainable
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #14
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
How did you come up with this number? Are you reading the system logs or something?
No, I just remembered what books I had finished and added all those locations and the current count in the book I was reading. So very low tech.
So it might not be exact, but a pretty good approximation.
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I've really only charged mine once, when I got it. Since then it's gotten enough juice from when I plug it in to add books.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote