Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like to have a Brazilian Forum?
Yes! 21 72.41%
No! 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
Thumbs up Request: Brazilian Forum

Hi!

Following the examples of the German, the French and the Spanish forums (or, in Latin: fora), I would like to propose the creation of the Brazilian Forum.

In the end of 2012 Amazon started its operations in Brazil (http://amazon.com.br) with its Kindle, and Livraria Cultura started to sell the Kobo Reader.

This way I think we are starting an e-book culture and maybe lots of Brazilian (and maybe other people who lives in countries where Portuguese is the official idiom) will benefit to use this very good forum to discuss specific issues.

Thanks for your interest.
Best regards.
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
+1 for the forum in Portuguese... or maybe we could have a Spanish/Portuguese joint forum, as both languages are so close...
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
+1 for the forum in Portuguese... or maybe we could have a Spanish/Portuguese joint forum, as both languages are so close...
Hi!

Thanks for the message.

I agree with a Portuguese forum, but join with the Spanish forum isn't a good idea.

Spanish "seems" close to Portuguese, but it's a bit different language, and most Brazilians can understand/read/write English, but not Spanish... It can be weird but it's true.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
z1984z
z1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Thumbs up

+1 for Portuguese forum.. Like Zamana said, it´s a bad idea to merge Portuguese and Spanish in one forum.
z1984z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I don't have any need for a Brazilian (oooh, err missus), but if the Portuguese speakers would find it useful that seems to be enough reason to at least consider it - but who is going to do the work associated with it?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Sure, why not? Except I wouldn't name if after a country and instead name it after a language. Just to be more inclusive.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I thought that Brazilian Portuguese was very different from Portuguese Portuguese, so maybe a just Portuguese form isn't such a good idea.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have no use for foreign language forums. Just English. The problem is that when a foreign language forum is added, they messages get stuck in the new messages list and then we have to go to options and set the new forum to be ignored. Now, I'd be all for this new forum you want if there was a way to automatically have any foreign language forums ignored. But for now, I say no.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
In truth, I don't much care either way. . .

I voted yes, but as much as I'd like to, I don't speak or read Portuguese. However, this site has other non English language forums that don't seem to get in my way so I don't see why a Portuguese language, or Brazilian forum would cause me to suffer in any way.

In a perfect world, if we really want ebook publishing to take off, we need to encourage ebook publishing to flourish globally, even in non English speaking countries, so a Portuguese language or possibly Brazilian forum should be encouraged.

But the world is not perfect, so I would say it should probably be a rather hard-headed business decision on the part of those who have to pay the Mobileread.com bills. Do the research, and if it will pay it's own way, or accrues benefits in some other way, I say go for it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I'm in favor of anything where people discuss reading and books.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I voted yes, since there is a German, French and Spanish forum already, so if we have ours, you should have yours, especially since Amazon just started selling kindle in Brazil and will probably get into Portugal soon as well.
I would, however, sugest to call it Portuguese forum, so that it will encompass all continents.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
zamana
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I voted yes, since there is a German, French and Spanish forum already, so if we have ours, you should have yours, especially since Amazon just started selling kindle in Brazil and will probably get into Portugal soon as well.
I would, however, sugest to call it Portuguese forum, so that it will encompass all continents.
Yes, you're right. A Portuguese forum would be more comprehensive than a Brazilian one.

Thanks for your vote!

Regards.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I voted yes because why not?
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamana View Post
Hi!

Thanks for the message.

I agree with a Portuguese forum, but join with the Spanish forum isn't a good idea.

Spanish "seems" close to Portuguese, but it's a bit different language, and most Brazilians can understand/read/write English, but not Spanish... It can be weird but it's true.
conversa fiada, coisa de burguês colonizado

castelhano e português são línguas irmãs perfeitamente inteligíveis. bem mais que as outras latinas... por sinal, tenho lido Don Quixote pelo original.

and yes, should be portuguese, not brazilian

BTW, there's a desperate need to get Brazilian classics from literature into sites like Gutenberg -- something the portuguese are way ahead of us. there's dominiopublico, but it's all damned PDFs...

what do you say? Gutenberg advocates are kinda picky, but we could well enough take those PDFs, convert to epub and post here at MR...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I thought that Brazilian Portuguese was very different from Portuguese Portuguese, so maybe a just Portuguese form isn't such a good idea.
not more than US vs UK english. mostly, it's the pronunciation... the portuguese are a lot more formal too, and likewise I guess how americans feel about british.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, ebook, kindle, kobo, livraria cultura