Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #46
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I love a good chosen hero will save the universe story! That's what 95% of all fiction is, isn't it?
Yes, except for Romance characters, they tend to set their sights a bit lower.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #47
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Levine View Post
What books couldn't they pay you to read?

Here are two of mine:

"Celebrate," Pippa Middleton's party-planning guide. I never cared for celebs using their names to promote pap.

And...

"The Secret Race"
by Tyler Hamilton, former teammate and pal of Lance Armstrong, who now spills the juice about the Tour de France champ's use of performance enhancers. Sleazy.

Paul Levine
Just received "The secret race". Can't wait to start it. For decades cycling fans have been hoping the code of silence would be broken on doping and finally it is being. To call it sleazy would be like calling a mafia whistle blower sleazy. The person might be but the act is needed.

Books I won't read are the expose's on the killing of Bin Laden. I regard that as sleazy I am afraid.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #48
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Books I won't read are the expose's on the killing of Bin Laden. I regard that as sleazy I am afraid.
Nor would you like to read the sequel to it, The Effect of killing Bin Laden. The Norwegian soldiers and UN is about to pull out, and Al Qaida is preparing to come up from their holes in the ground
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #49
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Levine View Post
What books couldn't they pay you to read?

Here are two of mine:

"Celebrate," Pippa Middleton's party-planning guide. I never cared for celebs using their names to promote pap.

And...

"The Secret Race"
by Tyler Hamilton, former teammate and pal of Lance Armstrong, who now spills the juice about the Tour de France champ's use of performance enhancers. Sleazy.

Paul Levine
There is plenty I would not, but your choices are pretty good ones.
By the way, who the heck is Pippa Middleton? "Pippa", if nothing else, is sure a funny first name.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #50
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
There is plenty I would not, but your choices are pretty good ones.
By the way, who the heck is Pippa Middleton? "Pippa", if nothing else, is sure a funny first name.
Philippa "Pippa" Middleton is the sister of Kate Middleton, who is currently the Duchess of Cambridge following her wedding to Prince William of England.

Edited to add pertinent information: the Middleton's parents run a party supply business so presumably Pippa Middleton's book on party planning stems from that.

Last edited by LovesMacs; 09-13-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Added information on Middleton family business
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #51
Paul Levine
Connoisseur
Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I read "Paterno" by Joe Posnanski, and it's first rate. New details of 1998 and 1999 retirement of Sandusky, which make it clear Joe was moving him out before the 1998 non-charges. But, Joe offers no explanation for his failure to follow up after telling McQueary to report what he saw -- whatever it was, because the story changed -- to the A.D. Wish there could have been more.

Paul Levine
Paul Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #52
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
"The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" and "Maus"

I do not need that level of depressing reading.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #53
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I can be bought. Suggest something for me to read and and appropriate amount of money to...

For a minimal extra charge I can give you a glowing or not so glowing review.
Ditto sans review as I suck at writing them, glowing or otherwise.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #54
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
the Harlequin cheap romances or the books of Barbara Cartland and all the likes.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #55
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Dickens' Great Expectations. I don't know why - I've read some of his other books. I just could never get into that one. Tried to watch an old movie of it that was on TV last year - couldn't take that either.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #56
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I don't know, I'm pretty sure I could be bought enough to at least read a chapter or two. Sometimes, profundity pops up in the strangest places. (Though I have serious doubts about 24 hour Cable News).
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #57
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Anything young adult, they are just creepy when read by a 40 something female, it is like being at best some creepy weirdo trying to live in their childhood again, and at worse some kind of pervert pedo. When I see women my age drooling over twilight I back away very very fast.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #58
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Finnegans Wake

Although calling that a 'book' is giving it too much credit.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #59
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I feel the same way about Harry Potter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
Anything young adult, they are just creepy when read by a 40 something female, it is like being at best some creepy weirdo trying to live in their childhood again, and at worse some kind of pervert pedo. When I see women my age drooling over twilight I back away very very fast.

applesauce
Why do grownups want to read the same 500 words over and over? don't get me wrong, I'm amazed at those writers who can tell a good story with the incredible limitations they saddle themselves with. But even so, why would I want to inflict that story on myself?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #60
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Taking the question literally, I would read most things for enough money no matter how boring.

What they couldn't pay me to read would be things that are too disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post

applesauce
I think that's very judgemental and narrow-minded. I like Young Adult books and think people should be able to read what they like without shame.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lance armstrong, pippa middleton