Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Starhawk
Enthusiast
Starhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2; Amazon 1 (returned in ancticipation of 2)
Kindle 2 update 2.0.2 from 3/19: Force update?

Hi there,

For my Kindle 2, I almost always have my wireless turned off. I saw today some news stories reporting that a 2.0.2 update was released last week on Thursday night (3/19):
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10200969-1.html
http://www.geeksugar.com/2952971
http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/...rmware-update/

So I turned my wireless on, thinking my K2 would update right away. That didn't happen...so, after a few minutes, I used the "Sync and check for new items" command...and no results...I'm still at 2.0.1.

I've seen a couple of threads from folks whose Kindles have updated.

What determines when a Kindle 2 will update? Is there a way I can "force" my Kindle to go get its update? Should I just wait till the Kindle does it on its own?
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
You can always manually update by going to the kindle download firmware page (follow the steps here):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...1manualupdates
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Starhawk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
You can always manually update by going to the kindle download firmware page (follow the steps here):
Ah, so what I learned from that page is that, for an update to be done, both of these conditions must be true:
  • The Kindle is connected to WhisperNet.
  • The Kindle is asleep.

So I did those, and lo and behold, my Kindle 2 started updating itself after a minute or two of sleep.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
I was about to post that no, Amazon only provides information on manually updating the Kindle 1, not the Kindle 2. But low and behold, they've changed that page and now provide instructions on manually updating the Kindle 2. Hopefully Amazon will keep it updated now.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have a feeling that eventually you would have seen the update appear automatically, but you may as well manually install considering you have the wireless off most of the time; that's what I do too.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I've done a few manual updates because my Kindle froze a few times while it was updating. sometime you just have to.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I just got a Kindle a few days ago and I was surprised to find that it came with 2.0 from the factory, and that it didn't update itself. I waited and waited.. left the wireless on, let it sleep... nothing. Finally had to manually install the new update the old fashioned way; download the new firmware from Amazon, drag it to the root directory on the Kindle 2, eject, go to home>menu>settings>menu>update.

I wonder though, does that option appear even if you haven't got the new firmware on the device? Right now that option is grayed out for me, but is that because I already have the most recent firmware?
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
No, the option doesn't appear until there is new firmware on the device. Firmware downloads are "pushes" not "pulls", since Amazon doesn't want every device to get the update immediately, presumably for support and bandwidth reasons.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Starhawk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I wonder though, does that option appear even if you haven't got the new firmware on the device? Right now that option is grayed out for me, but is that because I already have the most recent firmware?
Hm...so I had to replace my updated Kindle which was a bit defective with a new one...and the new one came with v2.0, as weatherman's did.

I've had it wireless on now since Thursday or Friday (so 7-8 days), with it going to sleep as it should...

...but it hasn't updated itself.

I'm planning to updated it myself with downloading and copying over the update today, if my restart just now doesn't solve the problem, but to corroborate Sirbruce's answer to weatherman's question, without the update file on there, my v2.0 Kindle 2 has that Update Your Kindle option grayed out.

UPDATE: and now, after restarting and me putting it to sleep...about 2 minutes later, the new K2 is updating itself. I wonder if it doesn't do that while it's plugged in...as I've had it plugged in all night... *sigh* too many variables.