Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #46
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
The salient point for me was Amazon's employee turnover ratio of <1 year. It doesn't matter if Amazon fired them or if they left of their own volition, such a high turnover does not speak well for Amazon's workplace.
Sigh... It's pretty obvious you've never worked in a high pressure, demanding job. Intel's turnover is probably pretty high too, but those that stayed will tell you it's a satisfying job. I know it was for me. Finding disgruntled employees is pretty easy for any business. You just don't get as many page views telling the stories of all the people that enjoy their job.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #47
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
The salient point for me was Amazon's employee turnover ratio of <1 year. It doesn't matter if Amazon fired them or if they left of their own volition, such a high turnover does not speak well for Amazon's workplace.
Yes, numbers don't lie. And the spin machine of Carney, senior execs, and the world's worst boss don't sway me. Reddit has numerous stories and posts by employees that predate this article that say the same thing.
Bezos
http://www.ituc-csi.org/amazon-s-jeff-bezos-wins-ituc-s
Carney
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Carney
Same info about Amazon being a terrible employer from one month earlier than the Times piece
https://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/com...om_an_old_man/

Last edited by conan50; 08-17-2015 at 11:29 AM.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #48
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Have you looked at the turnover at Google?
Microsoft?
B&N?
OVERSTOCK?
Wal-Mart?

Try to look at this one:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_..._stack_up.htmlhttp://<br /> <br /> Guess what? T...ngle-coverage/

But really, all you need to know is the NYT piece is by Streitfeld.
But those companies don't count because NO ONE uses them.
Another corporation has a change of employees quite frequently but because there are less than 10 employees per location, it isn't newsworthy.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #49
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
But those companies don't count because NO ONE uses them.
Another corporation has a change of employees quite frequently but because there are less than 10 employees per location, it isn't newsworthy.
Nope.
Nobody uses them at all.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #50
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The stories are going to start pouring out now.
Here are a few:

Quote:
To say that the job was stressful isn't an adequate description of the pressure under which I worked. Every day, we were expected to do more with less and were constantly compared to people in Third World countries who cost less than we did. The day I left, I cried tears of joy. I actually get to spend time with my family now. I'm also pursuing teaching. When I leave this planet, I don't want my contribution to be increased shareholder value.
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head. I was in leadership, too. I remember being so happy when I was promoted. Then I saw all of the back-biting and clawing that everyone did to keep moving up. It started to eat at my soul after a while.
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/...utal_new_york/
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
And the spin machine of Carney, senior execs, and the world's worst boss don't sway me.
Of course not. Not when you're unwilling to believe anything that doesn't jive with the bias you came in the door with. Bad press confirms that bias--so why look deeper?

The fact that the article in question was written by a man whose hatred for Amazon is legendary should be a dead giveaway as to its "objectivity."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #52
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
The stories are going to start pouring out now.
Here are a few:
Ah. Reddit. Where everybody gets their objective analysis of current events.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #53
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Sigh... It's pretty obvious you've never worked in a high pressure, demanding job. Intel's turnover is probably pretty high too, but those that stayed will tell you it's a satisfying job. I know it was for me. Finding disgruntled employees is pretty easy for any business. You just don't get as many page views telling the stories of all the people that enjoy their job.
Intel is tied at #168 with a median employee retention rate or 4.3 years.
Amazon is tied at #465 with a median employee retention rate or 1.0 years.

I suspect Intel is a whole lot less "high pressure" than Amazon. If you are losing 50% of your workforce every year, something is fishy.

stats
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #54
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some scored higher and some scored lower than I expected.
I am curious as to one thing. Median means middle, so is that data from all employees or just the middle earners. Is there a certain pay that is leaving more than others?
Are they being fired or leaving voluntarily?
Is the job not what they were expecting?
What is their track record for other jobs?
Is the person upset because the long time employee gets more vacation time?
And about a million other questions.
I need way more data to give an opinion on how Amazon treats employees.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #55
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:

I suspect Intel is a whole lot less "high pressure" than Amazon. If you are losing 50% of your workforce every year, something is fishy.

stats
Hmmm...All of the articles I've read hold up Google as an ideal place to work. According to the list at your link, though, the median retention rate there is 1.1--only slightly better than Amazon's. Maybe ''retention rate" isn't as indicative of working conditions as you are implying it is.

Or maybe google is just as "bad" as Amazon is?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #56
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Hmmm...All of the articles I've read hold up Google as an ideal place to work. According to the list at your link, though, the median retention rate there is 1.1--only slightly better than Amazon's. Maybe ''retention rate" isn't as indicative of working conditions as you are implying it is.

Or maybe google is just as "bad" as Amazon is?

Shari
Great point. Shows you how careful we have to be when looking at our nerdy "data".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Nope.
Nobody uses them at all.
SO correct!

I haven't used BN since last week, Walmart since yesterday, and Google and Microsoft since earlier today!
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #57
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Great point. Shows you how careful we have to be when looking at our nerdy "data".

SO correct!

I haven't used BN since last week, Walmart since yesterday, and Google and Microsoft since earlier today!
Come to think of it, Walmart was yesterday, posting from Google right now and used Google to look up Microsoft Office just a few minutes ago.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
If you are losing 50% of your workforce every year, something is fishy.
Or you've created a plug 'n' play business environment where retention is irrelevant since there's no shortage of people waiting to step in. And technically, they're not "losing" 50% of their workforce every year. Their workforce remains constant ... only the individuals change. It certainly may be unorthodox (by yesterday's business-measuring metrics), but it doesn't automatically mean "fishy."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #59
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

stats
Boom- Bust (Hire - Layoff) was a standard practice here in the Silicon Valley in the 60's.
Hint! Intel started (and is still) here.

Advantage (to corporate): No seniority buildup (Vacation days, wages). No Pension (when there was one) vesting.

HP was King of caring to their employees back then. The HP Way
Do honest work and you had a job for as long as you wanted.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #60
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Boom- Bust (Hire - Layoff) was a standard practice here in the Silicon Valley in the 60's.
Hint! Intel started (and is still) here.

Advantage (to corporate): No seniority buildup (Vacation days, wages). No Pension (when there was one) vesting.
Sigh.. As much as I've been talking up Intel, this... Internet bubble burst in early 2001. My division shut down. Two months looking internally for a new job. 20 years experience. 56 years of age. Expect to be vested in the following year. Intel ended up making an offer I couldn't refuse. No hard feelings really, but damn.