Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
camdenmaine
camdenmaine began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kidle
What happened to &XXquo; characters?

I carefully replaced all opening quotes with “ and closing quotes with ” and similar changes for single quotes and dashes etc. Everything looks fine in book view. But when I look at the files in code view, I see that Sigil has replaced some of the &XXquo; characters with their typographic equivalents, “, ‘, ’, and ”. I'm not sure this is wrong, but it's a surprise. I'm also surprised that Sigil seems to have done this only in some files.

I guess I don't really understand the difference between keying in a typographic quote directly, say <Option><Left Bracket> for “ or entering &ldquo;.

So . . . two questions: is my epub okay with some glyphs in one form and some in the other? and Is Sigil replacing &ldquo; with “ or am I going crazy? (Maybe that was three questions.)

t.

Keyword here is "curly quotes"
camdenmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Book View (BV) converts entities to their unicode equivalent character. This isn't something we can control as the third party component we use for BV does this on it's own. We do convert some characters to the entity. But we only convert ones that either can't be seen or are hard to differentiate (shy and nbsp for example).

Using the unicode character instead of the entity is perfectly valid. The entity is just a representation for the character.

As to why it only happens on some files, most likely it's because you didn't make a change in BV in some files. Simply viewing a file in BV won't change it. The code is only modified if you make a change in BV.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for that information. I've wondered about similar replacements.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
camdenmaine
camdenmaine began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kidle
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Book View (BV) converts entities to their unicode equivalent character. This isn't something we can control as the third party component we use for BV does this on it's own. We do convert some characters to the entity. But we only convert ones that either can't be seen or are hard to differentiate (shy and nbsp for example).
Just to be clear: this is happening in Code View, not just Book View. I expected it to happen in BV, but not in CV.

Anyway, I guess you're saying I'm OK with some unicode quotes and some &XXquo; glyphs.

t.
camdenmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
From the validity and rendering point of view, both &XXquo; and unicode characters are exactly equivalent, so nothing is lost. But I guess it's an undesired effect if Sigil changes the representation in the code, as there may be other reasons to have one or the other.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert