Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #346
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The proper term for Southerners is "splendorized".
Ah ok. My mistake. I was born in Illinois so I didn't know the proper term.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #347
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The proper term for Southerners is "splendorized".
Did you see what my daughter did to my PW cover?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207479

Splendorized it indeed!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #348
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Did you see what my daughter did to my PW cover?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207479

Splendorized it indeed!
Neat. Alice & the White Knight in "Through the Looking Glass" right?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #349
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
yep. I'm a fan of the White Knight, he's so delightfully batty. Inside the front cover is the first standza of Jabberwocky, in mirror text.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #350
norbip
norbip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.norbip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.norbip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.norbip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.norbip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.norbip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.norbip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.norbip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.norbip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.norbip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.norbip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbip View Post
Based on the good feedbacks on aliexpress I've ordered one in brown-yellow color. I'll post some pictures when it arrives.
As promised, I shot some images of the cover. It has some minor defects as you can see like the little waves on its cover though its not really visible normally. Overall for the price the cover is good but the closing magnet could be way stronger (but this also is not a big issue, it don't have space to get opened accidentally in my backpack). I've ordered the cover from eBay btw: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

I've uploaded the pics to here: https://picasaweb.google.com/palotai...rt/KindleCover
norbip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #351
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar View Post
Thank you for answers.
Tested my touch (PW not yet arrived) in zipper bag but it acts very ... Think, that bag are too soft.
Ordered THIN FOLIO SMART PU LEATHER CASE COVER FOR AMAZON KINDLE PAPERWHITE 3G/WiFi from ebay and with waterproof cover (think, that I can use it for somthing other thing, if cant normally operate kindle through it).
The Touch naturally would not be a good candidate for ziplock baggie, because of it IR touch screen. Just tested on the Paperwhite, and there it works with no problem thanks to the capacitive touch screen. The screen still responds very precisely and accurate - swiping might be a bit complicated to do wrinkle free, though. Don't have a beach to try it out here, but in essence it should work. The thin layer of baggie makes it just a tiny bit harder to get a response, but that is almost not noticeable.

p.s.: I did stick my Touch in the baggie after playing with PW, and the results were horrible - the baggie itself can activate the screen. It clearly is not as see-through as it may appear (pun intended) - at least for the IR sensors.
DuckieTigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #352
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbip View Post
As promised, I shot some images of the cover. It has some minor defects as you can see like the little waves on its cover though its not really visible normally. Overall for the price the cover is good but the closing magnet could be way stronger (but this also is not a big issue, it don't have space to get opened accidentally in my backpack). I've ordered the cover from eBay btw: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

I've uploaded the pics to here: https://picasaweb.google.com/palotai...rt/KindleCover
It looks very much like my original cover!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #353
abrizz
Enthusiast
abrizz began at the beginning.

Device: none
ach! I am going crazy here waiting for my cover. According to the tracker it was sent over a month ago but has still not left schenzen airport. Seems like they want to open and then dispatch it 10 times before they are satisfied.

I have still not been able to find a slim cover that folds over the top instead of like a book. Has anyone seen one with a slim fitted back?
abrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #354
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ No, haven't seen a slim one like that.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #355
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: kindle touch, pw
Quote:
Thank you for answers.
Tested my touch (PW not yet arrived) in zipper bag but it acts very ... Think, that bag are too soft.
Ordered THIN FOLIO SMART PU LEATHER CASE COVER FOR AMAZON KINDLE PAPERWHITE 3G/WiFi from ebay and with waterproof cover (think, that I can use it for somthing other thing, if cant normally operate kindle through it).
Get PW and case from ebay today.
I pleased. Case dont smell, wakes up kindle and if folded back dont put it sleep. Uploaded some photos to flicr http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEjubhb
I bought bundle, dont like Stylus Pen, its too soft rubber top

Sorry my bad english
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #356
ohforf
ohforf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello everyone!

I am looking to buy a cover for my paperwhite but I am a bit distrustful of the auto wake/sleep function, which I didn't even know existed until I started looking for covers. And all the good ones seem to have this functionality.

Here's what's bothering me:
I always turn off my PW when not in use by pressing the power button for 7s. I think it saves more power this way, but I could be wrong. Now, from what I understand, the covers put it to sleep, which means it goes to the screensaver?
If I turn it off and then close the cover, will it stay off, go to sleep or turn itself back on?
With the cover closed, and assuming it goes into screensaver mode, can I turn it off?

It's kind of hard for me to accept the auto wake function though. Just because I have the cover is open doesn't mean I want to read something...

Should I look further for some nice non-auto wake/sleep covers or am I being too picky?

Thanks!!
ohforf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:56 AM   #357
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Hi

1) If you turn off PW and close cover, PW stays off and wakes up, when you open cover
2) Leaving cover open, then how about dust? (this are primary reason for me use covers)
3) May-be I am wrong, but think again. When kindle use power? Amazon writes that battery life are xxxx page turns so, if you dont turn page (like screensavar) then kindle dont use power. Of couse, PW use power for wifi, light, 3G but in screensaver mode all this are turned off (its like I understand this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohforf View Post
Hello everyone!

I am looking to buy a cover for my paperwhite but I am a bit distrustful of the auto wake/sleep function, which I didn't even know existed until I started looking for covers. And all the good ones seem to have this functionality.

Here's what's bothering me:
I always turn off my PW when not in use by pressing the power button for 7s. I think it saves more power this way, but I could be wrong. Now, from what I understand, the covers put it to sleep, which means it goes to the screensaver?
If I turn it off and then close the cover, will it stay off, go to sleep or turn itself back on?
With the cover closed, and assuming it goes into screensaver mode, can I turn it off?

It's kind of hard for me to accept the auto wake function though. Just because I have the cover is open doesn't mean I want to read something...

Should I look further for some nice non-auto wake/sleep covers or am I being too picky?

Thanks!!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #358
ext233
Enthusiast
ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PW2
I was given a third-party Paperwhite cover as a gift, BUT... the magnet doesn't really work and as such the Kindle is ALWAYS on. I mean the magnet always wakes up the Kindle even when the case is closed.

Is there a firmware hack (my kindle is rooted) or something to disable the case auto-wake function?!
ext233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #359
ivar

Hi
Not readed about this kind software hack but read about hardware hack
Some cases put PW sleep, when folded back and I read, that are some kind tape what you can use, that magnet dont get through it. I only remember reading about this, so cant anything more say about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext233 View Post
I was given a third-party Paperwhite cover as a gift, BUT... the magnet doesn't really work and as such the Kindle is ALWAYS on. I mean the magnet always wakes up the Kindle even when the case is closed.

Is there a firmware hack (my kindle is rooted) or something to disable the case auto-wake function?!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #360
ohforf
ohforf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Hi

1) If you turn off PW and close cover, PW stays off and wakes up, when you open cover
2) Leaving cover open, then how about dust? (this are primary reason for me use covers)
3) May-be I am wrong, but think again. When kindle use power? Amazon writes that battery life are xxxx page turns so, if you dont turn page (like screensavar) then kindle dont use power. Of couse, PW use power for wifi, light, 3G but in screensaver mode all this are turned off (its like I understand this)
Thanks a lot ivar. That really helped!
Now, to choose a cover...
ohforf is offline   Reply With Quote