Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #61
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
What an ... illuminating tidbit that was too, vivaldirules.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #62
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Is there any actual size mentioned in any of the rumors?
From last years manual: 4.9" by 7.5" by 0.7", 10.2 ounces (289 g).

This info is also in the wiki: E-book Reader Matrix.

Last edited by wallcraft; 11-17-2007 at 11:15 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #63
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
This photo of the Kindle on Amazon's site suggests that it is quite large indeed.
And they said it was not illuminated! <g>

Quote:
4.9" by 7.5" by 0.7"
OK, so it is 120% of the area, 225% of the thickness, and 113% of the weight the Sony (new Sony as that is the competition).

Would have expected it to be heavier. Must be either not very dense or all plastic (and indeed it looks to be plastic)...

Might be OK if the content and especially the price of the content is killer. We shall see.

Last edited by CCDMan; 11-17-2007 at 11:44 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #64
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
And they said it was not illuminated! <g>
Nah, they only said it wasn't back-lit.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #65
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
This photo of the Kindle on Amazon's site suggests that it is quite large indeed. Okay, I'm going to stop it with this joke - I promise.
Wow! Only $117.00!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
I'm still thinking that the original pic that we have isn't so horrible if it's color corrected. Granted, I guessed on the color correction, but when you take out that ugly tan color, is the design sooo terrible?

I think the ugly 1990's PC color from the photograph is what made look so nasty. But that it just my opinion!
Can you fudge a picture in black? Every thing ughly looks better in black!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #66
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Can you fudge a picture in black? Every thing ughly looks better in black!
I guess you mean "in the dark"?

Seriously, I'm looking forward to the anouncement of the kindle. Hopefully it will be available in Europe, or at least will not be restricted to the USA. Concerning the price, 400$/€ would turn me off, in this case I hope there will be some sort of subscription service, and the device sells for less (or even nothing). I would consider a two year contract...

And to say it once again: I still like this retroish design.
My wildest dream: If it is the final design, and noone buys them, prices will drop and I'll buy one for 50$/€* early next year.

* isn't there a sign that signifies both currencies at once? We should call it "Common Transatlantic Payment Unit" or something like that...
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:01 AM   #67
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Let's play Shadowrun all along, use a 'Y' as currecy symbol and call it Nuyen

I really, really, really DONT understand why so many companys restrict themselfes to the US market. I mean: WHY? And especially: Why do ALL of them use the US market? There is already a reader for US (Sony), if Amazon wants to do only one market - go Europe! We will welcome you with open arms.

But they won't do that, so I hope for a worldwide release. On the other hand: Their MP3-Service is only available in the US, so I don't believe that they will offer eBooks in good old Germany any time soon. If not: It *will* cost them my support. Not that it bothers them in any way ...
Oh and EVDO-access says everything that is to say about "worldwide release" really ...
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #68
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischeriad View Post
* isn't there a sign that signifies both currencies at once? We should call it "Common Transatlantic Payment Unit" or something like that...
Supposedly, this character ¤ means "currency". It looks like a circle with points on the four corners (you didn't know a circle had corners, did you?). The only problem is, I doubt anyone would recognize that symbol.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #69
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischeriad View Post
"Common Transatlantic Payment Unit" is highly accurate and efficient. From now on, all forum members will use it. You will comply. Resistance is futile...

(Say, wasn't there a Borg smiley in here once?...)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #70
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There was a new space currency announced last month called the 'Quid'. Since space is all around the planet it would be logical to use.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #71
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
There was a new space currency announced last month called the 'Quid'. Since space is all around the planet it would be logical to use.
Frankly speaking, I have never considered myself and inter-planetary traveler...although I have used quids for 5 years. I am proud of the new title though!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #72
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The "quids" are cute, but I think they're missing the fact that loose change of any kind, even with rounded corners, presents a hazard in a microgravity environment. They need an information storage method that can hold up to electromagnetic flux and cosmic rays, with suitable encryption to hold financial information such as a credit limit. They're going to have to exchange information with a banking system, but it needn't be in real-time.

Regarding Yvan's request for a picture in black, I think he wants to see the Kindle mock-up photoshopped to seem to be made of black plastic. The color is quite likely to change, since that color is the basic color of prototyping plastic (someone pointed that out in one of the early Kindle threads). I'd expect to see some kind of customizable "skin," actually, if they want to go the iPod marketing route.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #73
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
The "quids" are cute, but I think they're missing the fact that loose change of any kind, even with rounded corners, presents a hazard in a microgravity environment. They need an information storage method that can hold up to electromagnetic flux and cosmic rays, with suitable encryption to hold financial information such as a credit limit. They're going to have to exchange information with a banking system, but it needn't be in real-time.

Regarding Yvan's request for a picture in black, I think he wants to see the Kindle mock-up photoshopped to seem to be made of black plastic. The color is quite likely to change, since that color is the basic color of prototyping plastic (someone pointed that out in one of the early Kindle threads). I'd expect to see some kind of customizable "skin," actually, if they want to go the iPod marketing route.
I have a more pragmatic reason for wanting black bezels with eink; contrast ratio. Reading in artificial light requires lots of it and a white surface around a reader would bounce quite a bit of it back, rendering the reading tiresome to the eyes.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #74
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Regarding Yvan's request for a picture in black, I think he wants to see the Kindle mock-up photoshopped to seem to be made of black plastic.
There you go, call it qucik and dirty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newsweekkindle_blk.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	7338  
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #75
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Slick!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote