Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
More SMASHWORDS Reviews Please !

Smashwords

Folks many of us are buying and getting free novels from Smahwords,

Well some of our most dedicated MR Members support us by hanging around the forums,

Lets Give back and try to put a few more REVIEWS up on Smashwords by way of THANKS

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just plugging the thread in hope of reminding at least some of you to REVIEW our MR Authors on SMASHWORDS,

Thanks,
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Sorry but I didn't catch that. Contact who?
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I missed your post yesterday, so this is a great reminder, Kevin.

I'm trying to remind myself to do a review of the books I read (even thought I don't feel that I express myself very well). I've started using some of the comments I've made on MR for my reviews.

I very much appreciate all the MR authors who publish on smashwords. It's DRM free with no geographic restrictions, plus most of the for purchase books are very reasonably priced.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Are we allowed not to review if we don't like the book!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
If you can't say something nice....

No, actually, if you didn't like the book and can say why, that's a fair review. If you like everything, you'll have no credibility, because not everything is great or even good.

If the author can't take it, he/she is in the wrong business!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #7
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Yeah, within reason, Any Review is welcome, Authors appreciate constructive criticism,

My point is only really that we should acknowledge the Authors who support MR, and Indie Authors in general,

Personally i've read a LOT of really good indie author books I've found through MR, and all have been at least good, Most are excellent,

Anyway, if you read them, PLEASE Try to review, If you can

Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 AM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Done.

I finished "Mighty Hammer Down" a while back and enjoyed it very much, so added a few comments.

I will add more for other author's ebooks.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Are we allowed not to review if we don't like the book!
If you would rather remain silent, you certainly have that option... but speaking as a MobileRead author who has published on Smashwords, I can say that any honest review is welcomed. If you dislike a story, for whatever reason, and can put that reason into words, you might save someone else with your particular mindset from making a poor choice. Or they might be looking for precisely the sort of story you dislike, and your negative review could convince a new reader to take a chance anyway!

So far, "We Don't Plummet Out of the Sky Anymore" has been blessed with a number of reviews from dedicated MR readers (thank you, cbarnett, dreams and DixieGal!) and one review from someone whose moniker I did not recognize (anyone know whether Lene Jorgensen is a member here?). It is my extreme good fortune that each of those has been five stars, and that the readers enjoyed the writing.

On behalf of all authors whose work you value enough to review, I say:

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
"Trapped in a Dream" by Victoria Caro

Cool story idea (two people connected on a dream plane since birth drawn together by common danger) but hampered by two things. 1) Dream sequences are not terribly interesting as a novel and those sections tended to drag a little and 2) There were certain turns of phrase which made it very clear that English is not the author's first language. That's the peril of self-publishing: an editor would have caught that stuff

I got this for free during 'Read an Ebook Week' and it's now $7.99. I would not recommend it, especially at that price,. If she is charging commercial-level prices, she should offer a commercial-level product and a book with faulty English isn't that. No offense to the author, who from her website seems to be an interesting person with a cool life, but this is just very amateur-feeling and in need of a good edit.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur
David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to thank Kevin for posting this thread, and Sabredog for the review of Mighty Hammer Down.

We independents are often ridiculed for not being legitimate authors, so we love to hear when people enjoy our work. A publisher might judge a book on the number of sales, but we judge our success on what our readers think, so reviews mean a lot to us and help us grow.

Thanks again for your support.

Sabredog I'm glad you enjoyed my book!

David
David J. Guyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I just reviewed the Ancestors Of Star. Will review the others as I get to them.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Well this is what I hoped for to stir some opinion, and just to remind folks about the importance of ANY honest Review, and before anyone asks NO i'm not an Author, wish I had the skill, discipline and work ethic / determination, LOL,
Old 05-26-2010, 03:45 AM   #14
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Good on you, Kevin, for reminding us of giving review... I'm particularly bad in this area... I shall up my ways...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:12 AM   #15
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Good on you, Kevin, for reminding us of giving review... I'm particularly bad in this area... I shall up my ways...

Good on you Lene, hey and it is your ONLY failing