Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Battery issue with my 600

My 600's battery is fast to drain its charge. I left it off overnight and it went from 2 bars down to 1 bar. That's not good. Also it has drained from a full charge to 1 bar in less than a week, and that is with below normal usage (for me that is) as I've been too busy to read as much as I normally do. Is anyone else who ACTUALLY owns a 600 having this issue?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Well for my PRS-700, I used to get discharged pretty fast due to me not turning it off and it kept on playing mp3s, or that my cover was pressing against the turn page button which caused the fast discharge. Are you sure anything like that isn't happening?
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
lilfoot
lilfoot began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-300
Same thing happened to me. I just kept it connected to my laptop all night long and it had the USB plug icon on it and then this morning I wake up and about to take it to school, and a Low Battery signal came on. Additionally, as I was typing this, I had turned the device fully off and then plugged it to my laptop to charge once more, and it turned itself on by itself...
what's going on here????
lilfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot View Post
Same thing happened to me. I just kept it connected to my laptop all night long and it had the USB plug icon on it and then this morning I wake up and about to take it to school, and a Low Battery signal came on. Additionally, as I was typing this, I had turned the device fully off and then plugged it to my laptop to charge once more, and it turned itself on by itself...
what's going on here????
What might be happening is that the laptop is going into sleep mode and without a proper USB connection and the Reader plugged into the USB, it will drain the battery. The best solution is to get a good quality PSP AC adapter and use that to charge your Reader.

When you plug your Reader into your laptop's USB, first run eBook Library and leave it running and see what happens.

I did once leave my 505 plugged into the USB port after I closed eBook Library and found that it drained the battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
lilfoot
lilfoot began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
snip
That stinks but it might explain things...
I have 2 laptops and one of them has the bundled software installed, and I'm using calibre on the other one.
But that still doesn't explain why the device turned itself on after I turned it off and plugged it

Thanks for the help JSWolf

EDIT: Also, my laptop is set up so that when I close the lid, only the monitor shuts down. I have it so it never goes to sleep or hibernation mode...

Last edited by lilfoot; 09-03-2009 at 11:48 AM.
lilfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

My PRS-600 battery discharge is not due to being plugged into any USB port. Mine was not plugged into anything. The Kindle 2 was also a battery drainer. I was hoping that my 600 would be more like my 505 was, the 505 held a battery charge pretty much as advertised. Also, I do not use it to play MP3s or view photos.

I do realise that new LiON batteries sometimes have to be completely (or nearly completely) discharged and recharged a few times before they reach their full potential. So perhaps this issue will improve over time.

komugi, Your comment about the case pressing the page turn button was interesting. Did this drain your 700 battery even when it was turned off?

I wonder if the Device Shutdown option will help. I'll try that, although it takes a while to turn on when completely shutdown. But shuuting down every night would not be to much of an inconvenience.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Using any of the advanced functions of the PRS-600 is also going to drain your battery noticibly faster:
  • Search
  • Zoom
  • Dictionary lookup
  • Annotations
  • MP3
In other words, anything other than just reading will have a larger drain on the battery than expected.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Using any of the advanced functions of the PRS-600 is also going to drain your battery noticibly faster:
  • Search
  • Zoom
  • Dictionary lookup
  • Annotations
  • MP3
In other words, anything other than just reading will have a larger drain on the battery than expected.

WDE.

Definately.

Well I just went to my local Best Buy store and picked up a PRS-300. I suspect its battery will rival that in the 505. And no, I'm not getting rid of my 600. I bought the 600 for "scholarly" type reading where I need to make bookmarks, highlight text, make annotations, etc. But for reading a novel, and most other entertaining reading, I won't need those functions. And the 300 is so small and portable.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
My K2 use to be like that at the beginning; I would get about 4 days on a full charge and then after a few charge, I started getting at least a week and that's with heavy usage. I have no idea what changed since I did not do anything different but charge using ac adapter. So maybe after a few full charge using a wall unit, the battery life will increase!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
My K2 use to be like that at the beginning; I would get about 4 days on a full charge and then after a few charge, I started getting at least a week and that's with heavy usage. I have no idea what changed since I did not do anything different but charge using ac adapter. So maybe after a few full charge using a wall unit, the battery life will increase!
Good improvement. Apparently LiON (lithium ion) batteries just need a a while to reach there peak performance. At least that is what I've read and heard. They are certainly better than the NiCad and NiMH batteries that kept losing their memory and thus the amount of charge they could hold.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm not sure if the Sony does this... so I am grasping at straws here. But, when you put stuff on the kindle it will index them in the background in order for the search to work. That can really drain the battery.

Perhaps the Sony does the same thing? If you put new stuff on it every day, like maybe RSS feeds and stuff...

Don't know... sounds like a bummer. Hope you get it figured out.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm not sure if the Sony does this... so I am grasping at straws here. But, when you put stuff on the kindle it will index them in the background in order for the search to work. That can really drain the battery.

Perhaps the Sony does the same thing? If you put new stuff on it every day, like maybe RSS feeds and stuff...

Don't know... sounds like a bummer. Hope you get it figured out.

BOb
When you unplug the Sony from the USB port, it does all it's sorting out of content before you can use it. Then after it is done sorting, it's ready to be used.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot View Post
But that still doesn't explain why the device turned itself on after I turned it off and plugged it
The Reader has to turn itself on in order to go into USB mode. My 505 does the same thing and so does the 500.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #14
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
What kind of case or cover do you have it in? I have my 600 in an M-Edge 505 case that I thought was a perfect fit. I fully charged my reader yesterday, read for about 2 hours last night and about 1 hour today and was shocked to see I was down one battery marker. I was looking at my reader when I noticed the volume icon flash at the bottom of the screen! I NEVER use the mp3 player - never on any of my three Sony readers (4, if you count both 505s I've had). Turns out the strap at the bottom was pressing on the volume button...
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
What kind of case or cover do you have it in? I have my 600 in an M-Edge 505 case that I thought was a perfect fit. I fully charged my reader yesterday, read for about 2 hours last night and about 1 hour today and was shocked to see I was down one battery marker. I was looking at my reader when I noticed the volume icon flash at the bottom of the screen! I NEVER use the mp3 player - never on any of my three Sony readers (4, if you count both 505s I've had). Turns out the strap at the bottom was pressing on the volume button...
Which cover are you using? I'm not having the same problem YET, but I have a strap that looks like it may press on the volume button.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote