Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
slh17
Ardent beginner
slh17 doesn't litterslh17 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 700
Am I nuts to pre-order a PRS-700 when I'm a Canadian Mac user?

I've been following the kindle for a year now, but it doesn't look as though it's coming to Canada so I'm giving up. I've just seen the PRS 505, but like what I hear about the new 700 better, but ...

... I'm a die-hard Mac user. I've downloaded Calibre and gotten it set up, but I can't figure out where I'll be able to buy the e-books from. I liked the Sony ebookstore range, but I don't think it will work with my MacBook, will it?
slh17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I think your options are either installing Windows under a VM (VMWare Fusion or Parallels) (or Bootcamp) if you want to use the Sony store, or using other stores such as BooksOnBoard.com or Fictionwise.com. I don't know if Adobe DE will work with the Sony on a Mac - I do use it, but have it set up on a Windows VM.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Adobe DE works on the Mac, but you have to authorize the PRS-700 for your Adobe account using a Windows PC (a one time process).

The other option is to buy MOBI or eReader ebooks, strip their DRM and then format shift them with Calibre. For MOBI you need a PID, and again getting one from a Windows PC is typically the simplest approach. You don't need a Windows PC to buy or download MOBI (at least from mainstream sites), just a valid PID.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
slh17
Ardent beginner
slh17 doesn't litterslh17 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 700
Well, I heard enough to make me take the plunge - I've put in my pre-order for the PRS 700, due around November 17th .. will guaranteed be back on looking for help once I have it!

Thanks for the help!
slh17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'm sure you'll enjoy it when it arrives!

Don't forget there are lots of free ebooks here at mobileread that have been formatted and uploaded by various members.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
splanchnic
Enthusiast
splanchnic is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, Ipod Touch
Hi
I'm a Canadian in the same situation, and I've decided to get the 700, too. I would buy a Kindle if it were available up here but it's not... Luckily I am already running VMware on my Mac. It seems so inconsequential, but one of the big deciding factors for me is the built in reading light...
splanchnic is offline   Reply With Quote