Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Kieron
Kieron began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Newbie question, what formats can my Sony PRS 505 read?

I have a Sony PRS 505 eBook reader and I love it. However I am disappointed with the limited amount of eBooks available from Waterstones.com here in the UK.

So my question is, what other online sellers offer eBooks for sale that I can download into my Sony PRS 505? Please note I do not want to mess around converting files and all that sort of thing. I just want to log onto a website, purchase and download and eBook and then I'm away.

As I need to use Adobe Digital Editions am I correct in thinking that I can download "Adobe EPUB eBook" format eBooks as a starter? WHSmith online seem to offer these.

many thanks,

Kieron

Last edited by Kieron; 10-29-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
See the wiki for a list of supported formats:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505
These include Epub.

The wiki also has a list of bookstores:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

You can find a link to the wiki at the very top left of this page.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
As I need to use Adobe Digital Editions am I correct in thinking that I can download "Adobe EPUB eBook" format eBooks as a starter?
Yes, but there are not yet many Adobe ePubs available. There are many Adobe Secure PDF ebooks, and if you see an Adobe ebook the odds are that it is a PDF (they will probably just be called Adobe ebooks). Adobe Digital Editions and the PRS-505 reads both kinds of Adobe ebooks. A downside of PDFs on the 505 is that each page of the original document is "reflowed" to the screen size, but the text is not reflowed across the original page boundaries. If you can live with this, then buying Adobe ebooks (ePub if available, otherwise PDF) is your best bet. Any ebook vendor selling multiple ebook formats is likely to offer Adobe. The two most often recommended here are FictionWise and BooksOnBoard.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
If you want to download a book that is not available in a format you can use on the Reader you can try downloading the book in Microsoft's Lit format which can be easily stripped of its DRM and converted to a Reader format

Most books in PDF format aren't really readable on the Reader in my opinion, either the text is too small or the books lose their formatting when you change the font size.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
thfc2008
thfc2008 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
Most books in PDF format aren't really readable on the Reader in my opinion, either the text is too small or the books lose their formatting when you change the font size.
I would disagree with that.

I've synched a few pdf books and can read them with no problems, usually with text size set to Medium.

Sure the formatting isn't perfect and you do get gaps between some pages, but its certainly readable.
thfc2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
Kieron

Thanks for all your help guys. I have to say I'm massively unimpressed with the selection of eBooks available from Waterstones, here in the UK. WHSmith too.

I've just checked out the Sony Ebook Store in the USA and it has a much better range of new releases especially. However, as I live in the UK I can't download from it.

Not impressed!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You can buy ebooks from fictionwise.com or booksonboard.com... but you will have to learn to strip DRM and convert. Not hard really.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Kieron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You can buy ebooks from fictionwise.com or booksonboard.com... but you will have to learn to strip DRM and convert. Not hard really.

BOb
I hear what you are saying Bob but really why should I? I spend £200 on a Sony eBook reader and all I ask is that there is a reasonable selection of eBooks available to download at a reasonable price? I really don't want to be messing about stripping or converting files etc. I bought the eBook reader for convenience. Not much to ask is it?
Old 11-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:

BOb
When you can, could you tell me the steps to do this?
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I bought the eBook reader for convenience. Not much to ask is it?
I don't think so.

But I was just trying to help. Now that you have the device you have to be realistic. Also, as HarryT and others in the UK have said. Buying ebooks from US stores is not only fairly simple but will also save you money due to the exchange rate and lack of VAT.

BOb
Old 11-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
When you can, could you tell me the steps to do this?
The basics are find with google and download...

(If you have Windows)

convertLIT
calibre
MS Reader (install and register)

Once you have done that go to fictionwise.com and get the free LIT ebook and make sure you can read it with MS Reader. After than read the readme file that comes with convert lit, follow those directions to make your key file. After that downconvert the LIT file. (Some people prefer to get the ConvertLIT GUI, me the command line works fine). Finally, add the book to clibre and press the convert button.

If you need any help with the above steps just PM me... or search around. There are many threads on these forums on how to use these tools.

BOb
Old 11-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Some forum member, Leaping Gnome in particular, will buy Sony Store Gift vouchers so that non-USA members can buy from the Sony Ebook Store. He takes PayPal.

I like to have my books in a format that I can shift (I may not always own a Sony), so I prefer to spend a little time converting books and saving a copy in html, lit, or doc, just in case.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #13
Kieron

Quote:
I don't think so.

But I was just trying to help. Now that you have the device you have to be realistic. Also, as HarryT and others in the UK have said. Buying ebooks from US stores is not only fairly simple but will also save you money due to the exchange rate and lack of VAT.

BOb
Sure Bob, wasn't criticising you at all, I appreciate your input. How can I buy ebooks from the US? I did try the Sony eBook store today but it wasn't letting me
Old 11-09-2008, 03:45 AM   #14
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I'm in the UK too. So far I have bought all my books from Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard, both in the US. I have bought from Fictionwise in the formats: Secure Microsoft Reader (LIT), Secure Mobipocket (PRC) and Multiformat (which you can choose to download in LRF format - the native PR505 format.

The Secure Microsoft Reader (LIT) and Secure Mobipocket (PRC) are copy protected, so to convert them to LRF you first have to remove the copy protection (see other posts on how to do this), and then you can convert them (using Calibre) to LRF.

I would only remove copy protection to format shift purchased books, to make sure I have a file that I can reformat at a later date to some unknown format - who knows what formats future devices will support? I plan on keeping my purchased eBooks forever, and not have to buy them again just because I have upgraded to a new device.

Last edited by ShellShock; 11-09-2008 at 05:01 AM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:14 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks for all your help guys. I have to say I'm massively unimpressed with the selection of eBooks available from Waterstones, here in the UK. WHSmith too.

I've just checked out the Sony Ebook Store in the USA and it has a much better range of new releases especially. However, as I live in the UK I can't download from it.

Not impressed!
Kieron,

This is why I always advise people who are considering buying an eBook reader to look first, not at the device, but the range of eBooks available where they live, and then, once they've done that, to look at devices which support the formats with the best availability.

This process led me to conclude that devices with MobiPocket support are the most useful, hence my choice of a CyBook Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote