Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
The Stand As An Unabridged Audiobook

Having pushed through Stephen King's 11/22/63 I found myself wanting more. Then today I got an eMail from Audible that they are offering the unabridged edition of The Stand for one credit.

I've never read that one. I feel like I probably should but it's almost 48 hours long that's a real commitment of time. Does anyone recommend this audiobook?
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Oops, I just posted something about this in the Audio book thread. Sorry.

"The Stand" is wonderful, one of the best by King. Of course I consider most of his stories/books horribly verbose and in serious need of a good editor.

"The Stand" that I read was, I believe, the shorter version of around 800 pages. I still think it is easily worth 1 credit if you've never read/listened to it. You won't regret it.

I did read it, not listen to it as an audiobook, but I think it would easily worth 1 credit if it is new to you.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I was a little put off by the length. At almost two solid days of listening I didn't know if it would wear me out.

Like you say, for one credit it's worth a try. Thanks for a quick reply.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I'm on the waiting list at my local library for the unabridged audio version -- release date is 2/21.

I bought the updated ebook version a while back from B&N - it's 1165 pages long and in the author's notes, Mr. King explains that it's nothing more than the original manuscript of 1978, which his publisher's accountants forced him to edit back then.

It's one of my favorite books, so the 400 additional pages (150,000 words) were like manna from heaven for me.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Not sure what version I read, I think it was the longer one. The Stand is the best Stephen King book out of all of them in my opinion. It's long but still a great book.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I found the "authors cut" not as good as the "original" - just an extra little earner for Mr. King, I reckon. Even more verbose.....

Enough is enough, I say.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
MichelleR
Just Me.
MichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, Nook Touch
You had me at "available for one credit."

I think it's his classic, the one they should most teach in classrooms of the future. I think 11/23/63 should perhaps join it. (I just found out that Dr. Who premiered on that date.)
MichelleR is offline   Reply With Quote