Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Publishers Preference Poll
I will only buy from ebook friendly publishers who support Libraries 4 10.53%
I may think twice before buying from a particular publisher if they don’t support Libraries 17 44.74%
I purchase all my books so I don't really care about publishers attitudes towards Libraries 6 15.79%
The current situation is merely reactionary and will get sorted out eventually so I don't worry about it 11 28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Publishers Preference Poll

With all of the posturing of publishers in regards to ebooks and their willingness or unwillingness to sell ebooks to Libraries; I thought a poll on the affect this has on consumer sentiment might be interesting.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I vote for option 5: Publishers should have no say what-so-ever in whether a particular ebook is available from a library. The library should simply purchase X copies of the ebook from wherever and loan them out as usual.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I like the idea of libraries obtaining a copy of every book published/uploaded. Publishers should have no say concerning our access to knowledge.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
You need another option: "I pirate all my books so I don't really care about publishers attitudes towards Libraries"

Last edited by Falcao; 02-10-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

You are right. I should have. But I was trying to think of what options we currently have.
But both of you have expressed, I would hope, the sentiments of most readers.

"I vote for option 5: Publishers should have no say what-so-ever in whether a particular ebook is available from a library. The library should simply purchase X copies of the ebook from wherever and loan them out as usual."

"I like the idea of libraries obtaining a copy of every book published/uploaded. Publishers should have no say concerning our access to knowledge."
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I will purchase the books I want to own and borrow (or do without) the rest; with basically zero knowledge of who the publisher of the book might be.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Since every single physical and e-book purchase is completely dependent on my loving it after using it at the library, then I voted for option 1. But option 5 is also relevant.

I let the public library advertise books to me, because they let me read them for free (unless for physical books we are late returning), and then if there is a book I cannot live without owning, I then put it on my target list for "books to look for good deals".
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

SPEAKING of which......

"Penguin pulls out of OverDrive, stops ebook sales to libraries"

Boohoo
Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I feel bad that I just read a Penguin book. After this year's required reading I will be limiting my potential read lists and purchases to publishers that are library friendly.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I voted option #2. A publisher not-offering to libraries won't completely stop me from buying from them if they've otherwise got a good price on a good book by an author whose works I like and want to support.

But for more marginal hey-this-looks-possibly-interesting-to-try-out stuff, I would definitely give more consideration/allow a higher price-point to a library-available publisher than one who outright refused or was working to undermine the existing system, whom I would probably decide "no, not really" unless the dirt-cheap price and promising blurb/sample and author's award-nominee reputation in the field were really compelling.

I vote with my wallet, but it's weighted-preference proportional voting rather than first-past-the-post winner-take-all.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I feel bad that I just read a Penguin book. After this year's required reading I will be limiting my potential read lists and purchases to publishers that are library friendly.
Same here. Prisoner of Tehran by Marina Nemat (A Canada Reads contender) was on my "to buy" list due to having been so moved by that book. They just lost a possible customer who loved their book.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
CJJ
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
SPEAKING of which......

"Penguin pulls out of OverDrive, stops ebook sales to libraries"

Boohoo

Yes. That was the news that drove me to create the survey. It pushed me over the edge.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I vote for option 5: Publishers should have no say what-so-ever in whether a particular ebook is available from a library. The library should simply purchase X copies of the ebook from wherever and loan them out as usual.
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
Yes. That was the news that drove me to create the survey. It pushed me over the edge.
That made me too. Since getting an e-reader and being able to borrow books, I have actually been more open-minded to buying either a printed or e-copy of a book I like after having read it on my reader.

In general I am very cheap about books, but I am less "cheap" than "I want to know what I am getting". I had not bought many books, because I can get so many free books, but it is because of that, that I am more open to buying. Having an upper limit on my general budget doesn't mean I am inflexible. I have a birthday coming up in a few months, whereby I can spend OPM
Old 02-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Since not a single publisher is offering ebooks to any libraries relevant to me, it's not something that influences my decisions in any way. I buy books by publishers who have signed up the authors I like - mostly, that seems to mean HarperCollins these days, with the occasional Simon & Schuster and Random House book thrown in.

In principle though, I do wish all major publishers would treat ebooks on an equal basis with paper books and allowed libraries to have them. I don't even think a cap is necessarily a bad thing - from a publisher point of view, it would certainly seem reasonable - although the 26 times lending limit that HarperCollins set seems a bit too low compared to how many times a paper book can be read.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote