Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Old Favorites in ebooks

One of my goals is to replace my library of dead tree books with ebooks. Every so often, I grab my list of old favorite books that I don't have ebook copies of and do a search on amazon and the sony ebook store to see if any have shown up. (it sure would be nice if there was a service that would do this for me.) I hit the jack pot today!

Most of Brain Daley's books, including his excellent "Doomfarers of Coramonde" series is now in ebooks. The only one of his that I really want and wasn't able to find is the some what obscure, but most excellent "A Tapestry of Magic". Naturally, I immediately purchased the five ebooks of his that I didn't have (I already had his Han Solo trilogy).

I also picked up Susan Dexter's Ring of Allaire series (more of a youth series, but fun to read) and Doyle & MacDonald's Mage World series (except the 2nd book of the series which isn't yet available. Why the heck, would you make books 1,3,4 and 5 available, but not 2? Crazy.)

Right now, given that Rowley's Harry Potter books will come out in ebook sometime in the near future, Roger Zelazny is the major author who I really, really wish was available in ebooks (me and everyone else). I'm also on the look out for Tom Deitz's David Sullivan series and C.J. Cherryh's Morgaine cycle.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I also picked up Susan Dexter's Ring of Allaire series (more of a youth series, but fun to read)
Fictionwise also has Dexter's Moonlight, a kind of prequel to the Allaire series which is not listed in the Amazon catalogue (from a Canadian perspective, at least), which becomes a very good deal with their weekend discount coupons. Plus it's MultiFormat and DRM-free.

I liked it enough when I read it that I'd be willing to try Dexter's other books, but at $6.99 each and DRM-ed for 80s paperback backlist, unfortunately I am no longer quite so tempted as I was before I went to have a look at Amazon and B&N.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
DRM isn't that big of a deal to me since it's easy enough to remove. In general, I always format shift ebooks that I purchase. I understand that some might balk at the cost, but I look at it this way, an author has to eat, also. If they don't get a living wage from their books, then they stop writing. It's hard to make a living wage at writing.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I understand that some might balk at the cost, but I look at it this way, an author has to eat, also. If they don't get a living wage from their books, then they stop writing. It's hard to make a living wage at writing.
It's also hard to attract the sales which help provide a living wage if the cost of entry seems too high for someone not already very familiar with the work.

I did buy and moderately like the one book of Dexter's on sale at Fictionwise, but I've otherwise never read anything else by or even heard of the author before that.

I might pay that much to subsidize a favourite author whom I've enjoyed for years, but at $7+ per (depending on the exchange rate), the works of a promising stranger generally aren't worth it to me when there are plenty of similarly promising strangers available for just a few dollars less (which allows me to buy up more of what they've got available, which I often do), not to mention familiar old friends also at a similar value-for-money cost.

In any case, I hope things work out for the author, and if she's been around awhile, maybe she does have enough old fans with new e-readers to make for sustainable e-version sales at her chosen price point.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote