Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #136
heatherc
Enthusiast
heatherc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I'm having trouble getting books from ADE over to the Reader...it's not recognizing the authorization. My library is offering secure PDFs as well as Adobe EPub files, and I get a 'protected page' error when I try to open them in the reader.

I'll try deauthorizing the reader and reauthorizing to see if it helps.

ARgh!
heatherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #137
heatherc
Enthusiast

Sorry...another question. Is there any way to get a library book - imported using Adobe Digital Editions - to go into a collection folder in my eBook library? I'd like to stash my library books where I can see them easily.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #138
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherc View Post
Sorry...another question. Is there any way to get a library book - imported using Adobe Digital Editions - to go into a collection folder in my eBook library? I'd like to stash my library books where I can see them easily.
You can use ADE to copy the book to the Reader and then use eBook Library to organize your collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #139
heatherc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can use ADE to copy the book to the Reader and then use eBook Library to organize your collections.
It's not finding it. I copy the books from ADE into the 505 (using the Adobe software). But if I open my Sony eBook library software, the books aren't there.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I tried importing the files from the 'My Digital Editions' folder on my computer, but then I get DRM errors saying I'm not authorized to use the file.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #140
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is your 505 authorized with ADE?
Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #141
heatherc
Enthusiast

It is. When I plugged it in, ADE authorized it for me.

ARGH! Now the EPub files are transferring, but the Secure PDF still can't be read because the PC isn't authorized to read the file. wtf??

Last edited by heatherc; 07-30-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:37 AM   #142
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
heatherc--

I've read several posts here regarding people who have tried to load both secure ePub and secure PDF files onto their reader. It seems that this is a "no go". For some reason, you can only have one or the other on your reader at a time. Seems strange to me, but like I said several people are reporting the same results.

Hope this helps--
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:42 AM   #143
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've been told by another MR poster that it's a known problem with Overdrive.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #144
heatherc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
heatherc--

I've read several posts here regarding people who have tried to load both secure ePub and secure PDF files onto their reader. It seems that this is a "no go". For some reason, you can only have one or the other on your reader at a time. Seems strange to me, but like I said several people are reporting the same results.

Hope this helps--
dordale
That helps a lot - thank you! I'll just keep an eye on what I'm loading into my Reader.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:27 PM   #145
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

My solution is to strip the DRM before loading the ePub onto my 505. Also, I edit all the ePub to use the font(s) that I want.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:02 AM   #146
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My solution is to strip the DRM before loading the ePub onto my 505. Also, I edit all the ePub to use the font(s) that I want.
I strip the DRM too, which seems to have resolved the issue.

I also never use ADE to put books on my Reader. I add the books to the Sony Reader and use it, so that the books go into collections.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #147
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I strip the DRM too, which seems to have resolved the issue.

I also never use ADE to put books on my Reader. I add the books to the Sony Reader and use it, so that the books go into collections.
Be sure you remove the eBooks after the expiration date. It is a library book after all. It is better to checkout the kind of book you want and let it expire as it is supposed to.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #148
Billybagobagels
Billybagobagels began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I was able to get my New York Public Library Card today. I'm a Canadian citizen and did the online pre-registration first. I'm in NYC today and completed the registration in person using my Alberta driver's license and paid the $100 non-resident fee. I downloaded a mobipocket ebook today with no problem. I'll try ADE when I get home.
Billybagobagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #149
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

ADE won't work with Mobipocket eBooks. The only way Mobipocket eBooks will work is to strip the DRM and convert to LRF or ePub and then put on the Reader.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #150
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Device: K1, K2, and iPad. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybagobagels View Post
I was able to get my New York Public Library Card today. I'm a Canadian citizen and did the online pre-registration first. I'm in NYC today and completed the registration in person using my Alberta driver's license and paid the $100 non-resident fee. I downloaded a mobipocket ebook today with no problem. I'll try ADE when I get home.
On their website, they state that patrons must be a resident of NY. This sounds like they're still offering out-of-state cards as long as you go in person to the library to register (like Washington DC's library does). Is that correct, or did someone just make a mistake with you and you got lucky?
BookishMom is offline   Reply With Quote