Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Looking for epub rendered as well as a pdf

I hope I convey my post appropriately...

It's well understood that pdf's strengths is that it can display or render text in a manner that the author/publisher intended.

Amongst other things, epubs strengths is that it is reflowable but also can render comparable to a pdf with some effort.

What I'm looking for is an example of a free (or not free) epub with some "eye candy" ( a mixture of text, graphics, charts, columns, whatever) similar to how it might look as a pdf.

I realize this is subjective and this is meant to stir the "pdf is bad as an ebook format" debate. However, I still have an affinity towards pdfs because of how well a document can be rendered and I'd like to see an example of an epub that rivals the presentation of a pdf.

Thanks
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post
I realize this is subjective and this is meant to stir the "pdf is bad as an ebook format" debate.
I think you meant "this isn't meant"...

Quote:
However, I still have an affinity towards pdfs because of how well a document can be rendered and I'd like to see an example of an epub that rivals the presentation of a pdf.

Thanks
I do love the look of professionally prepared .pdf's, however, I also don't like the way they transfer/convert to (reflow) ebook formats. In which case, PDFRead comes to the rescue!

I'm spoiled by the original image (pardon the pun) and cannot accept second fiddle when I convert .pdf to ebooks formats.

I have not seen elaborate .epub's (with complex graphic layouts) other than some well-illustrated ones Jellby has produced. But then again most of those .epub's contain full screen graphics and not overlays like magazines do.

p.s. Also from the Toronto Suburbs (Vaughan)....
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Recently JSWolf posted a good example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...590#post431590

I don't know if it's exactly what you are looking for, but it's worth a view or two.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Recently JSWolf posted a good example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...590#post431590

I don't know if it's exactly what you are looking for, but it's worth a view or two.
Thanks netseeker. I'll take a look.

Last edited by All4Fun; 05-09-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
All4Fun
Zealot

So I took at the JSWolf's epub example and I was impressed with the formatting for the chapter headings and the formatting used for "About the Author" at the end of the book. I'm going to put it on my 505 and see how it looks and reflows on it.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post
So I took at the JSWolf's epub example and I was impressed with the formatting for the chapter headings and the formatting used for "About the Author" at the end of the book. I'm going to put it on my 505 and see how it looks and reflows on it.
But it only seems to work within ADE as it makes extensive use of svg graphics; which are not (yet) fully supported by many browsers (firefox/IE) nor by the calibre viewer or mobipocket reader.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
But it only seems to work within ADE as it makes extensive use of svg graphics; which are not (yet) fully supported by many browsers (firefox/IE) nor by the calibre viewer or mobipocket reader.
JSWolf wrote it does work on the PRS-505 as well as on the PRS-700. I can't try it myself at the moment (my wife is reading with my PRS-505).

I don't see why it should matter if Firefox or IE or the Mobipocket Reader do support SVG's or not. None of the three claims to be ePub-capable.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
nrapallo

Quote:
I don't see why it should matter if Firefox or IE or the Mobipocket Reader do support SVG's or not. None of the three claims to be ePub-capable.
It doesn't, but I was going for the conversion-angle; to then try and convert this .epub to other ebook formats for ebook hardware readers other than the Sony PRS-505/700.

Perhaps, in time, ADE will be more widely supported and this will be a moot point.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
JSWolf wrote it does work on the PRS-505 as well as on the PRS-700. I can't try it myself at the moment (my wife is reading with my PRS-505).

there is a browser add on that support ePUB called OpenBerg Lector

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
It doesn't, but I was going for the conversion-angle; to then try and convert this .epub to other ebook formats for ebook hardware readers other than the Sony PRS-505/700.
Your rolling eyes are making me feel giddy.
The ePub-spec limits the supported features of SVG... Don't blame the format - just write better ePub-conversion software.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
OpenBerg Lector v5 isn't supported in Firefox v3.0; is there a newer one?
Old 05-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:

Dale
Thanks Dale, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with current versions of Firefox.

PS: forget it, nrapallo was faster.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
nrapallo

Quote:
Your rolling eyes are making me feel giddy.
I hope it's a warm feeling and doesn't cause you too much discomfort...

Quote:
The ePub-spec limits the supported features of SVG... Don't blame the format - just write better ePub-conversion software.
I'll try with the .imp format, but will leave the calibre viewer support to Kovid and team as well as the mobipocket reader support to... ... AMAZON.. yeah, right!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
OpenBerg Lector v5 isn't supported in Firefox v3.0; is there a newer one?
It's open source! Well, it seems that it hasn't been touched recently. It does claim to have SVG support. have at it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
nrapallo

Quote:
It's open source! Well, it seems that it hasn't been touched recently. It does claim to have SVG support. have at it.

Dale
Thanks, Dale, I just noticed that too, as the OpenBerg wiki states that (since summer 2007) it's not been updated for FireFox v3.0.