Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Saw TWO (separate) people using a Reader on the train today. (UK)

I've been a train guard for a few years and I see loads of gadgets through the course of the day. I've seen 100's of DS's & PSP's, Macbooks, lappy's, iPods, Archos etc (and a single, solitary, GP2X, heh). Prior to today I've never seen anyone using a Reader, or indeed any of the other e-ink devices. Today, though, I saw two separate passengers, one with a PRS500, the other with a silver 505 (like mine).

Good to see them knocking about and I'll be pleased when they finally see an official release here - I'd have much preferred to purchase an official UK one as I'm always slightly troubled as to how on earth I'd get my 505 fixed were it to break.

edit: gah, I spelt separate wrong in the title.

Last edited by yegon; 01-28-2008 at 09:56 AM.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I've had two separate train conductors on my commuter rail line comment on my 505. They say they've seen the ads on the train and so they're curious to see it in action. They were both pretty impressed. Never seen another passenger (or another person anywhere) with one, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Too busy reading, and all.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Yarrow
Enthusiast
Yarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500& PRS505; iPad; and Kindle
I have been using my PRS500 since May on numerous train journeys in the Uk. And no-one has ever expressed or shown any sign of interest!!!
Yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I've not yet seen anyone else using a Reader on the train going into London in my direction I'm afraid to say
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarrow View Post
I have been using my PRS500 since May on numerous train journeys in the Uk. And no-one has ever expressed or shown any sign of interest!!!
Do you not think that's just typical "British reserve", though? I mean, we just don't talk to strangers on trains, no matter how interested we may be in what they're doing .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you not think that's just typical "British reserve", though? I mean, we just don't talk to strangers on trains, no matter how interested we may be in what they're doing .
More than likely. Although, I've not had anyone on my Philadelphia commute ask me about it either. I've seen plenty of sideways glances, watching what I'm doing, and that's always fun.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I was reading my 500 on a bench in a mall, waiting for my wife who was in a fabric store and a mid-20s gentleman sat down and asked if it were the new Amazon Kindle. I very gently (and with no umbrage, mind you!) corrected him and showed him what the Sony Reader could do and we discussed the pros and cons of the Kindle, and he seemed very interested.

Previously to that, there had been only one person who asked me about it, and that was last summer at a music camp I teach at for a week at the end of June. And the woman who asked me about it knew how much of a gadget freak I am and wasn't the least surprised by it.

But in general people seem to pay me little or no mind, when I'm using it in public.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I corrected the thread title for spelling.
If it was an intercity London to Cardiff (or vice versa) then it might have been me that you saw. (tall, pale, very long dark hair.)
I find that people ask about the Reader quite often - about once a week or so. The Brits are not always as reserved as HarryT suggests.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I corrected the thread title for spelling.
If it was an intercity London to Cardiff (or vice versa) then it might have been me that you saw. (tall, pale, very long dark hair.)
No, it was a bloke on both occasions, on a Manchester to Leeds train. Quite a coincidence seeing two within a couple of hours given I'd never seen one previously.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
On Sunday me and my wife were returned from London on a train.
She was reading on 500 and me on 505....no one asked questions though I believe Harry_T is right, it is a typical British reserve, although I like it a lot
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #11
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had a few people ask me about it on the tube, which was a surprise!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I've had a few people ask me about it on the tube, which was a surprise!
Must have been foreign tourists .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:15 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Must have been foreign tourists .
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
simond
Fanatic

LOL, to my surprise they were both natives, but they did both approach quite hesitantly, one after watching for a few stops
Old 02-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #15
Nova
PRS Member
Nova began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I've been using mine (PRS-505) for three months on the tube, and I've got asked only three times: by a (swedish) tourist, by a techie and by a drunk!
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote