Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What features are required for a 9.7’’ e-reader ?
Wifi 378 64.40%
3G 121 20.61%
Touch screen 334 56.90%
Stylus 196 33.39%
Color screen 213 36.29%
Email 125 21.29%
Web Browser 231 39.35%
Document search 393 66.95%
Dictionary 413 70.36%
Music player 84 14.31%
Video player 58 9.88%
OPDS compatibility 104 17.72%
Just show me the results 28 4.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #121
cycles
cycles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
For personal I want wi-fi and e-ink to read books. Make it light and cheap.

For business I want wi-fi, PDF and DOC support, search, dictionary and annotation.
cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #122
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I find it very interesting that, of the given options, there are only 2 that are above the 2/3 mark, with only 2 others above 50%. Granted there were a lot of write in additions in people's posts that may add a couple more to the over 50% mark. Of the other 8 listed features only 2 were desired by1/3 of the people.

The fact that the focus is so narrow is probably a result of the audience on this site - i.e. dedicated readers, who don't want or need all the other stuff that goes with it.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #123
cu_cannon
cu_cannon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by levirothschild View Post
There are zillions of ereaders out there now.

Why not make one that will suit the needs of college students?
I second the college reader idea. I think this is an open market that hasn't really been exploited.

It would require a reader that supports pdf extremely well
Annotation support is a must
Color screen would be nice but not necessary
The ability to quickly switch between books and within a book
Some kind of a notes program
The ability to record sound might be nice
Long battery life
wifi
Low price $100 - $200 less would be better
cu_cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #124
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Been there; done that!

Wow, I just voted and noticed that my "wishlist" choices matched the Top 7 most desired features to date (see picture below) and except for Wifi (for which I use wired ethernet instead) they describe what I use EVERYDAY with my current ebook reader, the REB 1200!

OK, it isn't 9.7" e-ink but is only 8.1" LCD! ;

I guess we haven't come that far in the past decade!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nick's vote.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	53234  

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-12-2010 at 08:00 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #125
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I find dazzling that the most requested feature is a dictionary. I admit that I like it a lot in my Pocketbook, but I never imagined it would be so highly esteemed.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #126
Rolech
Rolech began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook lite*sold/psr300 returned/Kindle2 sold/Sony 600/palm treo 680
What I would like in an eReader

1. whiter screen and blacker eInk- like eInk for readability and BATTERY LIFE, this to me is what makes an ereader an ereader, along with thinness and size. I have owned, JBL,sony 300, & 600,Kindle 1, and I'm including my palm Treo/Tung C because they in many ways are better than all the above.

2. Ability to install multiple eReader software - This is the second HUGE KEY which makes the old Palms so usable as eReaders. I use Olive Tree reader for 3 bible versions, and you can find chapter verses, words in seconds, hugely functional. I have mobipocket and ezreader also on them. The ability to search through large reference books, like the Bible and or dictionaries, text books ect is sadly lacking in eReaders I've seen or had.

If I'm going to have another device like an eReader I don't want the weight, shorter battery life, all the computer like functions, email ect. BUT I do want to be able to read multiple types of books and formats easily, and in a very light efficent, portable form.
OK wifi would be nice also, to access wikipedia and book sources directly.
Rolech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #127
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Well, here's my thoughts. If you're taking about the device being a MID (mobile internet device), then all those features are important, and in my opinion required. If it's just going to be an ereader, then none of them are important. Now if they were to offer a 9.7" MID, with Linux (android or meego are also acceptable os choices), and it was reasonably priced, I'd grab one in a heartbeat. Anywho, that's my thoughts. It's not really applicable to the poll, but since my answers are conditional, this is the best way I can think of to answer the poll.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #128
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I find dazzling that the most requested feature is a dictionary. I admit that I like it a lot in my Pocketbook, but I never imagined it would be so highly esteemed.
I'm slightly bemused by this as well. I suspect it might be a result of the international nature of the readership on mobileread.

If I'd add anything else, it would be speed. This won't appear on a feature list, but speed of operation is one thing that too many device makers neglect. Look at how the Nook got panned in reviews for its poor responsiveness, and look at how the iPad got raves for its slick operation.

Before you go stuffing in frills to bump up a feature list, make sure the device has the fastest processor and display controller you can get (balanced against the need for decent battery life). Don't skimp on this.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #129
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Speed is usually a result of proper software. I had a 25 MHz 486 DX2 laptop that could read books faster than some of the current readers.

Bloated software is the heart of the matter.

cap
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #130
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Well, not always bloated necessarily. Sometimes it's just poorly designed. I know from personal experience being a part time programmer that you can have two different one line commands, and one can crush the processor, and the other can give you an almost instant result. It just depends on how well written the app is, and how lazy the programmer is. Sure, I tend to write my apps a bit heavy to start with, but at least I go back and tighten them up before I release them.

The problem is, optimization has become a lost art. Too many programmers have become far too used to being able to cheat and fall back on the processors superior processing capabilities. Why do you think some apps from 10 years ago run lightning fast on today's machines, and do nearly the same job as the brand new apps just released yesterday?
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #131
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
My assumptions were wrong.

I had thought that a 9.7 inch might be just what I needed for work related travel.

While in an office supply store I saw a netbook, with a 10 inch screen, on sale. Turning the screen vertical I had a surprise. It's awfully small. Reading would be no problem (speaking about the 10 inch screen only).

What killed it for me was that the documents and schematics I would be reading would not look all that great. Better than a 6 inch reader, yes. But not as large as I would want.

Before someone jumps on and says it's too big to read comfortably remember - I DONT want a large reader to enjoy fiction.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #132
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Well, not always bloated necessarily. Sometimes it's just poorly designed. I know from personal experience being a part time programmer that you can have two different one line commands, and one can crush the processor, and the other can give you an almost instant result. It just depends on how well written the app is, and how lazy the programmer is. Sure, I tend to write my apps a bit heavy to start with, but at least I go back and tighten them up before I release them.

The problem is, optimization has become a lost art. Too many programmers have become far too used to being able to cheat and fall back on the processors superior processing capabilities. Why do you think some apps from 10 years ago run lightning fast on today's machines, and do nearly the same job as the brand new apps just released yesterday?
That's a side effect of what you wouldn't expect: copyright and patents. Once you've sold X units of your device/software, you know that you have two alternatives: either you keep optimizing and improving the design of your current device (which is mainly costs with no big profits) or you just shove a new thing to the market, with the same bloated points than before, but with some new features which are enough to copyright it anew and win some profit. I.E copyright and patents oversubsidize innovation. Open source projects, not driven by this regime, tend to be updated, not scrapped and substituted with something "new".
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #133
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Firstly, I'm not sold on the size. For a bigger reader I think A4 would be what is required especially for what will be read on it. I can only see a bigger eReading Device being used for reference materials, comics, and, when the industry sorts itself out, periodicals. In that respect I voted for colour and some sort of stylus. Although some sort of wireless communication would be a good idea for periodicals.

To work with reference material the software will require a lot of specialization, just for note taking and better bookmarking. A lot of the other options make this device into a MID and I would prefer the developer to focus on the eBook reader software than stuff that you will be able to do on your $100 Android MID from China.

Drop the bloat. Stick to what you say you are going to develop. An eReading Device.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #134
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
It astounds me that so many people on here know EXACTLY what they want (A4 fit, annotation support) and the makers simply continue to not provide this design point, instead opting for arbitrary sizes like 8" and 9.7", or without pen support. I'm starting to think e-ink spontaneously blows up in a massive nuclear reaction if more than a 12" diagonal comes in contact with a pen digitizer.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #135
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I'm starting to think e-ink spontaneously blows up in a massive nuclear reaction if more than a 12" diagonal comes in contact with a pen digitizer.
There is probably some cost-benefit analysis coming into the equation here. Are you willing to pay $800+ for your A4 sized device? I'm not.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote