Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Tongpu
Tongpu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Japanese conversion issue

Hello there.
Here's the matter:
I usually find novels in Japanese on html pages and I convert them using Calibre to read them on my Kindle 4.
But I have some problems using the Japanese-English dictionary:
- when I convert to .azw3, the cursor of my Kindle sometimes jumps several characters at a time, in particular if there are commas or full stops. It is like sometimes it understands where a word begins and ends, but sometimes it doesn't. (note: in Japanese there is no space between words.) So I can't always use the pop-up dictionary. But, on the 40% of the cases, the cursor does the right thing and stops at the beginning of the word.
- when I convert to .mobi, the cursor moves between the single japanese characters normally, but the result on the pop-up dictionary is just the translation of the first character. (In english it would be like: I want to know the meaning of the word "book", so I put the cursor just before the word and the dictionary recognizes just the letter "b" and gives me the meaning of "b". So I can NEVER use the pop-up dictionary.

I would like the cursor to move freely between words (or single characters) and recognize the entire words linking them to the dictionary.
I can't understand where the problem could be.
I don't think it is in the dictionary. It could be a conversion problem, but I couldn't test on original awz files because japanese amazon won't let me buy books because I don't live in Japan.
It could be a problem of the Kindle 4, though. I hope it's not.

Is there any conversion setting that could be useful to solve the problem?
Tongpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Tongpu

Probably the .azw is closer to what I'm looking for.
Most of the times, the cursor jumps two entire sentences because there is a comma in between or a full stop etc...
Sometimes it jumps words for no reason. :/
Advert
Old 06-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
Tongpu

No answer?
No way to solve the problem in azw3 files of the cursor jumping several words when near commas or full stops?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
Yeyu
Yeyu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I also find this problem in .azw3 files converted by myself.
It's interesting, that Japanese or Chinese words are not separated by space. I always get a sentence when I try to select a word. But some Chinese books from Amazon don't have this problem. I can select a character even though it's an Azw3 file.
I will be greatly appreciated if anyone tell me how to make Azw3 files that only select one character when long taping on screen.

Last edited by Yeyu; 06-11-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Yeyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
It is maybe a good idea to check that book with the calibre ebook editor at the position where the problem is. Maybe you can find some differences in coding.
An other test is maybe to convert a correct working book (make a backup first) from AZW3 to AZW3 and check if there is then a problem with the new book.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
cursor, dictionary, japanese, kindle, translation