Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
abuzakour
abuzakour began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Cool I bought a kindle in Riyadh / Saudi Arabia

Hi Guys,

Finally Finally Finally I was able to buy a Kindle 3 Wifi here in Riyadh... I had previously a Sony 505 and a Kindle 2 (I sold both of them) but since i moved to Riyadh / Saudi Arabia last year i couldn't find a way to buy the new kindle..

For the record, i don't like using credit cards and amazon doesn't ship the kindle to the Middle East.

There is a twisted way to get the kindle which is by shipping it to a local US address and then ship to the Middle east and pay the customs and shippign charges but this is a little bit costly and take time...

any way, I was browsing the net yesterday and i met a young guy called Abdullah.. he has his own e-store and selling kindles as a hobby

After some negotiations I met him and bought one from him today for 184$ dollars (690 Saudi Riyals) ...

Expensive I know .. but i despretly wanted a kindle 3 Wifi ..

Anyway, I just wanted to let you that it is possible to buy one here

NB. I am not affiated in any way with this guy.. I just met him and had a good experience and wanted to report it to my felow members...

His email address is abdulla.88@live.com

Have a nice day...

Last edited by abuzakour; 07-20-2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Phone number removed at the request of the seller
abuzakour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
To what extent do the authorities in Suadi Arabia control electronic book readers and the electronic books? I would immagine that they would control the electronic books rather than the readers as the readers do not contain any information they simply interpret and display the information. What types of electronic books can you get in Saudi Arabia? I would imagine that the authorities vet the individual books at the individual book stores. I would imagine that books that talk about terrorism would have difficulty getting approved for distribution and books that talk about Islam. Do other international electronic book sellers ship to Saudi Arabia? I would imagine that Barns and Nobels would ship as, I would immage that they don't have as much troubble from authorities (they are simply not as high profile as amazon is). Do some of the smaller electronic book stores sell to Saudi Arabia, such as ebooks.com or kobo books? I would immagine that Kobo would be able to "fly under the radar" since they are simply not as well known as Amazon is.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
abuzakour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
To what extent do the authorities in Suadi Arabia control electronic book readers and the electronic books? I would immagine that they would control the electronic books rather than the readers as the readers do not contain any information they simply interpret and display the information. What types of electronic books can you get in Saudi Arabia? I would imagine that the authorities vet the individual books at the individual book stores. I would imagine that books that talk about terrorism would have difficulty getting approved for distribution and books that talk about Islam. Do other international electronic book sellers ship to Saudi Arabia? I would imagine that Barns and Nobels would ship as, I would immage that they don't have as much troubble from authorities (they are simply not as high profile as amazon is). Do some of the smaller electronic book stores sell to Saudi Arabia, such as ebooks.com or kobo books? I would immagine that Kobo would be able to "fly under the radar" since they are simply not as well known as Amazon is.
for e-books that we buy from the net, there isn't any kind of "control" imposed by the authorities here... but Yes, if you go to a bookstore and try to buy a physical paperback book talking about " islam and terrorism" then you won't find it ..but you can buy it from amazon to transfer it to your kindle.

by the way, the only problem we find here and by here I mean the Middle East including Dubai is that amazon doesn't ship the kindle to this region. we have to pay 50% on top of the original price to get one...

Hope I answered your question...
Old 04-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Congrats on getting your new reader! And, I'm sorry that you had to jump through hoops to get one.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuzakour View Post
by the way, the only problem we find here and by here I mean the Middle East including Dubai is that amazon doesn't ship the kindle to this region. we have to pay 50% on top of the original price to get one...
I would think that's simply because the Mobipocket file format, which the Kindle uses, doesn't support right-to-left languages, hence can't display Arabic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
abuzakour

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would think that's simply because the Mobipocket file format, which the Kindle uses, doesn't support right-to-left languages, hence can't display Arabic.
I think it is more because of copyright issues .. same reason why we don't have the apple itunes music store in this region
Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
abuzakour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Congrats on getting your new reader! And, I'm sorry that you had to jump through hoops to get one.
Thanks ...
Old 04-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
mjsiniard
mjsiniard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I lived in KSA for 8 years and I wish that ebook readers existed then. Finding books, in English was very difficult. Really enjoyed the years there.
mjsiniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
abuzakour

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsiniard View Post
I lived in KSA for 8 years and I wish that ebook readers existed then. Finding books, in English was very difficult. Really enjoyed the years there.
yes.. well .. you can't find "Borders" here in Saudi .. There is basically one major bookstore chain called "Jarir" .. you can only find there the essential english books.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
pinklotus
Enthusiast
pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
That's great you were able to get one!
pinklotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
abuzakour

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklotus View Post
That's great you were able to get one!
Thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Not relevant to me, but just wanted to comment and say threads like this are probably very illuminating - especially to those who live in areas of the world where access to devices like Kindles are not so easy to come by.

Glad there are enterprising and persistent people willing to go the extra mile. But still, IMO, a profit of course should be made by the sellers/importers/folks taking the risks - though its a fine line between reasonable profits and outright profiteering.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #13
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Amazon doesn't sell it in Dubai? That's pretty surprising to me.
I don't think arabic would be that hard given everything. Now to have TTS I think that would be pretty hard..maybe a duokan version could popup in the middle east.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #14
Saladin1
Saladin1 began at the beginning.

Device: KSO
Congrats. I had a similar story to get Kindle 3 here in Cairo/Egypt , at last I've chosen to wait 2 months until my relatives come back from The United States as I didn't want to buy more.
Saladin1 is offline   Reply With Quote