Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Ectaco 9.7" Color E-reader

Look at this report.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/wp.../k12-color.jpg

Go, Ectaco!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I think they got it right, in that the technology will probably shine in the more serious
academic environment, where it will function as a reading device not as a portable
entertainment center. It can't compete with the full color flash capable tablets that
are on the way, as a combo video player and reader, not even with the iPads.

This will be a great reading device but will not be able to compete as a video player.
If the new color tech pushes the price into the same range as the other 10" devices,
we may not see it offered outside the academic environment.

Just a guess.

Luck;
Ken

P.S. There is a chance that Mirasol could end up in the same boat.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-27-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Educational institutions are the only ones that would want to spend that kind of money for one of those. I think you are right that consumers would want the tablets that have flash.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
binky
Book Monkey
binky doesn't litterbinky doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Sure would have been handy walking around with one of those instead of a bunch of textbooks when I was in college =).
binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I'm not a student but if it had the Jetbook/lite format support and full sunlight readabilty I'd take one of these for my oversized, graphic or color heavy books: cooking, craft, art, travel, photography, gardening, nature ID guides, maps, games, computer programming, etc.

So why is it Russia/Ukraine only? The GUI is clearly in engish.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
I'm not a student but if it had the Jetbook/lite format support and full sunlight readabilty I'd take one of these for my oversized, graphic or color heavy books: cooking, craft, art, travel, photography, gardening, nature ID guides, maps, games, computer programming, etc.

So why is it Russia/Ukraine only? The GUI is clearly in engish.
It is evident that Ectaco will be providing a US/Canadian version at some
point, but probably don't want to deal in the angst that will result from the
time it takes, to actually have a product available for purchase. (We may
not be the most patient of people here in North America. Or here on MR.)

My main concern is whether they will view the dedicated color ereader as
a viable product in the general market place. Perhaps, once the academic
market accepts the device, as they implement it, they could consider a more
general reader development and marketing. (A "jetBook-Max" perhaps?)

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-27-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
renushan
Enthusiast
renushan began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX M92
Hello Forum members,

I would very much like to buy this e-reader if I can do general reading and note-taking (at 36, I am not a student any more, alas!). Please give me your valuable inputs on whether I could buy one.

RENUSHAN.
renushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by renushan View Post
Hello Forum members,

I would very much like to buy this e-reader if I can do general reading and note-taking (at 36, I am not a student any more, alas!). Please give me your valuable inputs on whether I could buy one.

RENUSHAN.
I see you can buy jetBook Color on Russian website for 15000 rubles
(about $500)
http://ectaco.ru/jetbookcolor
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
renushan
Enthusiast
renushan began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX M92
Thank you, Kris777. I just saw your response. I would so love to buy this, but $500! Plus shipping! My budget is just $400! Hoping and waiting....
renushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
AEA64
AEA64 began at the beginning.

Device: Considering getting a Pocket eDGe or Kindle 4
Quote:
I see you can buy jetBook Color on Russian website for 15000 rubles
(about $500)
http://ectaco.ru/jetbookcolor
I called them today and they said the whole shipment from the US went to schools, and if want to have current version of the device for schools (without internet) I can put an order and I'll have one delivered with the next shipment. They said the full version will be availbale in 2012.

This e-reader is gonna be a KILLER! Think about it: 1600x1200 pixel 9,7" in COLOR!
AEA64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEA64 View Post
I called them today and they said the whole shipment from the US went to schools, and if want to have current version of the device for schools (without internet) I can put an order and I'll have one delivered with the next shipment. They said the full version will be availbale in 2012.

This e-reader is gonna be a KILLER! Think about it: 1600x1200 pixel 9,7" in COLOR!
When you get it you will find it is really 800x600 pixels although there are 1600x1200 dots as it takes 4 dots to make a color pixel. see the wiki for details on how this works.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I am told the firmware is still beta and they are working on some bugs that keep them from shipping
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Educational institutions are the only ones that would want to spend that kind of money for one of those. I think you are right that consumers would want the tablets that have flash.

NO! I want a tablet with e-ink. (BTW, iPad does not have flash, so you are totally wrong.)
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #14
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
When you get it you will find it is really 800x600 pixels although there are 1600x1200 dots as it takes 4 dots to make a color pixel. see the wiki for details on how this works.

Dale
That only means that color resolution is lower than black and white?
When I look at the photos, it surely does not look like 800x600, the amount of information presented would be impossible at this resolution (and still readable).
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
That only means that color resolution is lower than black and white?
When I look at the photos, it surely does not look like 800x600, the amount of information presented would be impossible at this resolution (and still readable).
i think B&W is the full 1600x1200, but color is 800x600...

the pre-rendered "screenshots" or pics aren't that accurate, as they seem to be less washed out than the real devices in videos
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote