Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #61
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I think the design of the Kobo is really nice, and I can definitely see the appeal of it and its simplicity. If you read the Engadget review of it, they explain why the Kobo is a nice choice for those that want to read without distractions.

I do believe that the price is still too high. Even if people don't want/need extra features, those features cost money to include, so without them the Kobo should be cheaper than the wifi Nook.

However, if you love the design, the money doesn't matter, and you still get a gift card. There is one disadvantage to the Kobo though that firmware can't correct--the screen. According to the CNET video review, the Kobo screen has less contrast and is not as clear as the Nook, Kindle, or non-touchscreen Sony models. This to me is a deal breaker at the current price. When it comes down to it, design variations and bells and whistles don't matter as much as the actual reading experience. The point of eink is to provide a great screen to simulate a book. At it's current price, the Kobo should have the same quality screen as the Kindle, Nook, and Sony.

I agree that the grey levels don't really matter unless you like photos/images. The slower page turns can be fixed by firmware. The extra features might be a distraction to some. But, screen quality is very important to ereading, and while the Kobo experience might still be nice and acceptable, there is no excuse for it being inferior to its competition.

Last edited by Noah98; 07-21-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #62
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
One of the nice things about life in general and buying an ebook reader in particular is this: You're probably going to be happy with whatever you buy. The fact that another product has 17% better contrast or 31% higher fidelity or 8% more trunk space doesn't matter. If your new thing, whatever it is, works for you, it doesn't matter what else is out there that might work x% better.

My guess is that a market study would show that most people are happy with their Kindle, and most are happy with their nook, and most are happy with their Sony, and most are happy with their Kobo, etc. etc. etc.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #63
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
One of the nice things about life in general and buying an ebook reader in particular is this: You're probably going to be happy with whatever you buy. The fact that another product has 17% better contrast or 31% higher fidelity or 8% more trunk space doesn't matter. If your new thing, whatever it is, works for you, it doesn't matter what else is out there that might work x% better.

My guess is that a market study would show that most people are happy with their Kindle, and most are happy with their nook, and most are happy with their Sony, and most are happy with their Kobo, etc. etc. etc.
I agree completely, and if you enjoy what you bought, then none of this matters. The comparisons only matter to those who are looking to buy a device. They should be well informed of the positives and negatives to help them make a decision.

The Kobo, Kindle, and Nook are all great devices. If you buy any of them, you probably will be happy. But, since this is the "which one should I buy" forum, we have to compare features, share our experiences, and advise in a way that allows the potential buyer to get the best device for their budget.

My main issue with the Kobo is that there are too many compromises at the current price point. When the other readers were $259, it was hands down the best value, and those compromises weren't a big deal because you were paying $109 less for the device. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case, and it is hard to justify telling a potential buyer that it is ok to spend the same amount on a device with an inferior screen and less features. Just my two cents.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #64
Ardnas
Ardnas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo
I have BOTH a Kindle 2, and a Kobo. For only $40 more, the Kindle has more bells and whistles. I mainly got a Kobo to get access to books at the Kobo store. They carry books I can't get at Amazon. ...I didn't like the fuzzy screen of the Sony Touch, and the Pocket Edition seemed too small to me ...and it has no expandable memory. ..So I ended up buying a Kobo, and I like it. It is somewhat slower than my Kindle ...but it is also lighter in weight, and easy to use. My husband finds it less intimidating than the Kindle ...so it is likely a good starter reader.

My only complaint about the Kobo, at the moment, is the lack of accessories. ...I would like a book-type cover for it, so that I can use a book light. ...I always use a book light with my Kindle. I find the e-ink display rather dull without a light.
Ardnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #65
JexMcByte
Enthusiast
JexMcByte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, New Kindle Paperwhite
The most common complain I see about Kobo is it's price when compared to other eReaders with more features and similar prices. When the new kindle ships with lower price and newwer eInk type i think Kobo will need to lower it's price.
JexMcByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #66
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JexMcByte View Post
The most common complain I see about Kobo is it's price when compared to other eReaders with more features and similar prices. When the new kindle ships with lower price and newwer eInk type i think Kobo will need to lower it's price.
I agree. I think Amazon really complicated things. They are now the cheapest and offer the best quality screen. That is something that I used to tout my nook as having.

The main advantage that the Kobo had going for it was the design and small form factor. People were willing to pay more for it because of its simplicity and the fact that it is smaller and lighter than most other 6 inch devices. Now the Kindle has taken away that advantage at an even lower price. Some will still say, "I don't want to be connected." My reply would be turn off wifi/3g and never turn it back on (airplane mode). Problem solved. Or, "I just want to read, I don't want a web browser." Don't use it then, problem solved.

The Kobo still has epub support and library checkout. Those are advantages, although the wifi nook has those as well. I can also see how some people would dislike the keyboard or touchscreen from the Kobo's competition, and prefer the simple dpad and side buttons. However, the Kindle's new keyboard looks much better.

At $99, the Kobo regains its crown as the best value in ereaders. When the Kindle and nook were $259, the Kobo had the advantage. Now, the wifi Kindle and nook are better options. The Kobo has the worst screen of the three, slower page turns, and less features. It also loses the size advantage to the Kindle.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #67
JexMcByte
Enthusiast
JexMcByte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, New Kindle Paperwhite
I see no point on library checkout. In my country I've found no library offering ebooks so having this or not is not an issue (for now, this may change in the future). As for ePub i have no formed position, I understand that calibre can convert files with formats not supported by the eReader to ePud (am I right ?) but again, already have tons of PDFs to read and will take a while before I need to convert anything to ePud. I also do not like the keyboard even if I do not use it it'll take some space (and will weight something) but I guess I could live with it.
JexMcByte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo