Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #16
jankrix
Enthusiast
jankrix began at the beginning.

Device: [Original] Nook
I'm now in between Nook and Kobo, for now the only thing that hold me to buy Nook is the warranty matter, being available locally I guess Kobo is in the upper position...but I still can't resist the temptation to buy Nook

I've been twice going to A&R playing with Kobo and still can't decide lol
jankrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #17
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo, iPhone
Quote:
I didn't want to surf the web.
I didn't want to read a newspaper or magazine.
I didn't want to listen to music or audio books.
I didn't want to look at pictures.
I didn't want to watch videos.
I didn't want to charge the battery every few hours.

I wanted to read books.
This is exactly why after reading up about various e-readers and all of their capabilities I ordered a Kobo online at Borders last week (none in-stock at any Borders or A&R store in my area). Now to wait for it to turn up...
*reg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #18
goinveg
Enthusiast
goinveg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Entourage eDGe DualBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandor62 View Post
One thing to consider for the Purchase of a Kobo is the page turn is very slow in comparison to the Kindle. You get a black screen and pixalisation each time you turn the page for nearly a second. Most people don't seem to mind though, but it annoys me to the stage where I just cant use it at all. Also takes a fair amount of time to restart if you have put it down for a while to come back on to the page you were at. But the device is still OK, I have two of them and have given them to my younger children and they love it.
The page change is fine for me. It takes me longer to turn a page - or even rearrange from left to right - on a physical book.

I have not made the firmware 1.4 upgrade so I don't have the auto shutdown problem.
goinveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #19
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by *reg* View Post
This is exactly why after reading up about various e-readers and all of their capabilities I ordered a Kobo online at Borders last week (none in-stock at any Borders or A&R store in my area). Now to wait for it to turn up...
You might want to read the Borders representative's post at the end of the link below;

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...69&p=-1#bottom

There has been some issues with delivery, but not for much longer it seems.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #20
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jankrix View Post
I'm now in between Nook and Kobo, for now the only thing that hold me to buy Nook is the warranty matter, being available locally I guess Kobo is in the upper position...but I still can't resist the temptation to buy Nook

I've been twice going to A&R playing with Kobo and still can't decide lol
I wouldn't overlook the beauty and convience of wireless downloading. You don't get that with the Kobo.

It may seem like a " nice to have but ehh I can live without it" but seriously once you have it you won't look back and to have that feature at the same price.

being able to pop on to BN.com buy a book and then turn on your Nook and there it is. Sitting in an Airport, cafe where ever, and want to buy something and simple buy and have it under a minute.

No sideloading EVERY SINGLE book.

Color touchscreen, Color book cover art and cover flow, wireless connection, In store Barnes and Noble features, discounts etc.
Throw in the fact it also supports e-Pub, has a more advanced bookstore platform and the fact the screen contrast between the two is pretty big. The Nook has a far better screen.

at the same price as the no frills Kobo? I mean why would you buy the Kobo at the same price, unless maybe you ilved in Canada but besides that.

That would be like purchasing a Camary over a Lexus at athe same price.

To me it's just a no brainer, it really is.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #21
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
You might want to read the Borders representative's post at the end of the link below;

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...69&p=-1#bottom

There has been some issues with delivery, but not for much longer it seems.
Thanks!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #22
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I wouldn't overlook the beauty and convience of wireless downloading. You don't get that with the Kobo.

It may seem like a " nice to have but ehh I can live without it" but seriously once you have it you won't look back and to have that feature at the same price.

being able to pop on to BN.com buy a book and then turn on your Nook and there it is. Sitting in an Airport, cafe where ever, and want to buy something and simple buy and have it under a minute.

Color touchscreen, Color book cover art and cover flow, wireless connection, In store Barnes and Noble features, discounts etc.
Throw in the fact it also supports e-Pub, has a more advanced bookstore platform and the fact the screen contrast between the two is pretty big. The Nook has a far better screen.

at the same price as the no frills Kobo? I mean why would you buy the Kobo at the same price, unless maybe you ilved in Canada but besides that.

Good points. I think the additional cost for a Nook would be worth it for the convenience of the wireless alone, but you're also getting the in-store support, starbucks benefits :P , and the benefits of having a major company backing the device for probably a good many years to come.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The fact that the original poster talks about "warranty issues" and the Kobo "bring available locally" rather suggests that he is not in the USA. Hence no purchasing from B&N will be possible, wirelessly or otherwise.

Quote:
Really, you make it sound as though copying a file via the USB connection is a terribly arduous task. It really isn't .

Quote:
The nook uses exactly the same screen as does every other 6" bookreader on the market. They are all made in the same factory by the same company - eInk in Taiwan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #24
*reg*
Human

Quote:
The fact that the original poster talks about "warranty issues" and the Kobo "bring available locally" rather suggests that he is not in the USA. Hence no purchasing from B&N will be possible, wirelessly or otherwise.
Correct. The poster mentions A&R, which is Angus and Robertson here in Australia.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

I always used my PDA for reading. It has wifi availability. While I did use it, on occasion, for downloading books, I prefer putting them on my device while it's connected to my PC. Maybe because I'm a organisation nut, but books need to be in a specific location. Now, my PDA isn't seeing that much reading action anymore, and my two new readers have no wireless. I'm not missing it, except very occasionally, when I know I've a book on my PC that I haven't put on my reader yet...

Also, that buying from BN.com only works if you live in the US. My money isn't good enough for them.

Quote:

Colour touchscreen? For covers only? I watch a cover when I open a book and never again.

Considering B&N is only available in one single country in the whole world, unless you live in that country, the Nook is simply a nice gadget which is even hard to get as B&N only delivers in that country. And there are more countries on this globe than Canada...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #26
littleredplanet
littleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enough

Device: kobo
I bought a KOBO three weeks and 2 full ebooks ago ... Here's my verdict:
Me and My KOBO

cheers!
littleredplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #27
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post

.... I love that there is so little to get in the way of my reading experience with the Kobo, and it's so easy to read one-handed...no jokes about one-handed reading matter, please!
Well, you brought it up
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #28
jankrix
Enthusiast
jankrix began at the beginning.

Device: [Original] Nook
Quote:

hahaha I guess I need not to add more since all has been issued by others, but for confirmation:
1. I've said that the real matter is warranty issue maybe I did not state clearly that I lived outside US or Canada, I'm in Australia, I guess I would not mind about warranty if I'm in US.

2. It is true that being in the same price there's no point for me to buy KOBO over NOOK, maybe I don't need color touchscreen, fancy connectivity or else, but more capability with the same price by commonsense I should buy More for same price than Less for the same price, no brainer like you said.

However, even if I can push down the price of NOOK to be delivered to my door exactly AU$200 which is considerable cheap compared to KOBO which also being AU$199 delivered to my door, if I have problem with NOOK I still had to pay shipping, and other paper work to claim the warranty, which makes it even more expensive than KOBO where I should only drop my unit to nearby Angus Robertson outlet.

anyhow, I have kind of bad habit to tweak things, android platform on Nook is my only consideration to settle my choice between KOBO and NOOK, and till now I still looking at the possibility to bring NOOK to my room and researching for the warranty matter
jankrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #29
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Really, you make it sound as though copying a file via the USB connection is a terribly arduous task. It really isn't .

The nook uses exactly the same screen as does every other 6" bookreader on the market. They are all made in the same factory by the same company - eInk in Taiwan.

of coure sideloading a book isn't a laborous task, but wirelessly downloading no matter where you are even at home is just simply better. it really is. And when you are talking about two devices that are the same price and one offers that feature and the other doesn't, the decision is rather simple

as far as the screen is concerned, the tech may be the same but the contrast isn't. The Kobo's is ok, the Nook has a much sharper contrast. You don't have to take my word on it, you can compare .

I just want to point out, I'm not trying to put down the Kobo, as shown here it's an option for countries outside the US but here in the US and if you can get a work around for Canada, at the same price the Kobo and the nook wi fi, the Nook just offer much much more features.
When the Kobo org. came out, coming in at over a $100 cheaper than the Nook and Kindle it was a great option, for a bare bones device. Now they have all come within range and even the same price. I think it's time for the Kobo to be below $100 to be an attractive alternative.

Last edited by boswd; 07-07-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #30
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jankrix View Post
hahaha I guess I need not to add more since all has been issued by others, but for confirmation:
1. I've said that the real matter is warranty issue maybe I did not state clearly that I lived outside US or Canada, I'm in Australia, I guess I would not mind about warranty if I'm in US.

2. It is true that being in the same price there's no point for me to buy KOBO over NOOK, maybe I don't need color touchscreen, fancy connectivity or else, but more capability with the same price by commonsense I should buy More for same price than Less for the same price, no brainer like you said.

However, even if I can push down the price of NOOK to be delivered to my door exactly AU$200 which is considerable cheap compared to KOBO which also being AU$199 delivered to my door, if I have problem with NOOK I still had to pay shipping, and other paper work to claim the warranty, which makes it even more expensive than KOBO where I should only drop my unit to nearby Angus Robertson outlet.

anyhow, I have kind of bad habit to tweak things, android platform on Nook is my only consideration to settle my choice between KOBO and NOOK, and till now I still looking at the possibility to bring NOOK to my room and researching for the warranty matter

ahh I gotcha

Tags
kobo