Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #46
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
There has been no announcement that Wallcraft is a Moderator. He is NOT a Moderator.

Thank you,
Don (Moderator)
I think Robert was simply combining 2 words into one.

Wallcraft is a Moderate Amatuer = Moderateur
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #47
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I loved the Harry Potter series & I'm going to dive into the Twilight series soon! My least favorite Sophie Kinsella book was "Remember Me". I hear that her new one, "Twenties Girl" (or something like that) is really good.
Ive read all 4 books from the Twilight series and her science fiction, The Host. I liked them all. I am not sure Ive read Remember me yet.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #48
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
You might also try out Smashwords.com for ebooks (Yes, self-serving because my books are out there, but I chose to put them there because they offer multiple formats with no DRM--it allows me to offer books for all devices).

I've been reading through some of the free books available on Smashwords and have downloaded samples of others. It's a bit hit/miss with quality or content, but that is probably true of any site (commercial or non...)

The good news is that smashwords seems to be attracting more authors now that they will be working with Barnes and Noble and fictionwise.

I still don't have an ereader other than mobipocket for my laptop and stanza for my laptop--so thanks for this thread. Good info to have. I admit that I've been leaning towards the kindle just because that seems to have the most books available...but the pricing is better on other ebook readers...

Maria
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #49
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I still don't have an ereader other than mobipocket for my laptop and stanza for my laptop--so thanks for this thread. Good info to have. I admit that I've been leaning towards the kindle just because that seems to have the most books available...but the pricing is better on other ebook readers...

Maria
The main aspect of the Kindle which dissuades me from it is that for the most part, all your books have to be bought through Amazon. They also read Mobi, PRC, TXT, and some PDF support. You can have them convert DOCs and HTML to their proprietary format through an email service. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle#File_formats)

So the scope is limited, as far as formats are concerned.

I also don't like the fact that, at the whim of an author or publisher, they can remove legally-purchased books from your device. This is tantamount to breaking and entering and theft.

It's my thinking that purchasing a device, like the Astak reader, with the ability to read from numerous online bookstores, excellent customer service which adds new features and even format support via constant firmware updates, you will have a greater scope of available books with such a device. Instead of one or 2 bookstores, you have access to hundreds.

Sony's bookstore is soon going to ePub, and this will open up the Sony store for any device which supports the ePub format. I would love to see Amazon do the same with their store, but I don't see it anytime soon.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #50
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Support for Mobi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Robert, as mentioned above with the Mobi DRM -- is support for that in the future?
Dear Kenny:

We already have support for non-DRM Mobi on both the 5 and 6 inch EZ Reader. The problem is Mobi DRM. Mobi insists on total exclusivity of format. This means you cannot have Adobe DRM and Mobi DRM on any device.

The first 500 or so 6 inch EZ Reader Basic DID have Mobi DRM; and Amazon forced us to drop selling devices in that format (despite the fact that the factory had been approved). Amazon has been a VERY difficult company to work with from our perspective; and we just are staying very clear of them now.

So, no, I doubt you will ever see any EZ Reader go with Mobi DRM again because of Amazon's wishes. We have Adobe DRM at present which works just fine; and we are close to a contract with Fictionwise to have eReader DRM added on our devices. That depends on Barnes & Noble which owns Fictionwise.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #51
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Oh, I hope you are able to get the Fictionwise DRM. They have a fairly large selection of books/stories/magazines (which is probably why BN bought them). That would make the device even more attractive (not that it isn't, mind!)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #52
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Kenny:

We already have support for non-DRM Mobi on both the 5 and 6 inch EZ Reader. The problem is Mobi DRM. Mobi insists on total exclusivity of format. This means you cannot have Adobe DRM and Mobi DRM on any device.

The first 500 or so 6 inch EZ Reader Basic DID have Mobi DRM; and Amazon forced us to drop selling devices in that format (despite the fact that the factory had been approved). Amazon has been a VERY difficult company to work with from our perspective; and we just are staying very clear of them now.

So, no, I doubt you will ever see any EZ Reader go with Mobi DRM again because of Amazon's wishes. We have Adobe DRM at present which works just fine; and we are close to a contract with Fictionwise to have eReader DRM added on our devices. That depends on Barnes & Noble which owns Fictionwise.

Thanks Robert. It has slipped my mind about the Mobi DRM requirement. Thats for the interesting info on Amazon as well. I spent several weeks investigating the Ebook/epublishing world before deciding which bus to get on and after the evaluation it was definitely not the Amazon/Kindle bus. It is my belief that Epub will become the standard (certainly that could change ) and eventually Amazon will have to adopt it. Apparently they are playing hardball with others, including Mobi themselves.

Thanks for the confirmation/information.

I've expecting my Pocket Pro to be on my doorstep when I get home this evening, at least that is what UPS is telling me.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #53
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
It isn't just the EZ Readers, all the existing EInk devices with DRMed MOBI support (except the iLiad, which is still sold but will have no new firmware) now have a separate firmware supporting DRMed Adobe PDF/ePub. The only new device with announced MOBI DRM support is the Bookeen Opus. Bookeen is the only vendor who has interpreted their agreement with MobiPocket to imply that they can provide MOBI as a "separate but equal" firmware to Adobe. Everyone else has dropped DRMed MOBI for all future firmware releases.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #54
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Question Epub DRM question

I see that many of the ebook stores are carrying Epubs now. I, along with others, think this is great.

My question is, do these stores automatically use a DRM (ADE I believe) on the Epub, unless told otherwise. Or is it DRM-free Epub unless told otherwise.

I looked at some of the smaller stores that were listed in the News and Commentary section, but they did not specify whether they use DRM or not.

I realize the bigger bookstore, specifically Books On Board, use DRM and they Clearly state theirs are DRMed or not, depending on the book.

Can I assume if an ebook store does not STATE it is DRM, that the Epub is Not DRM'd.

Thanks.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #55
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
To my understanding it is DRM unless it says other wise.
I only find that the free ebooks I find on MR are DRM free.

chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #56
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I see that many of the ebook stores are carrying Epubs now. I, along with others, think this is great.

My question is, do these stores automatically use a DRM (ADE I believe) on the Epub, unless told otherwise. Or is it DRM-free Epub unless told otherwise.

I looked at some of the smaller stores that were listed in the News and Commentary section, but they did not specify whether they use DRM or not.

I realize the bigger bookstore, specifically Books On Board, use DRM and they Clearly state theirs are DRMed or not, depending on the book.

Can I assume if an ebook store does not STATE it is DRM, that the Epub is Not DRM'd.

Thanks.
Check out a few books. They should tell you sometime before you turn over any money what format it's in.

You can also always check the help/FAQ section of the store. There may not be a "Are your books DRMed?" section, but if their instructions for download include things like "Make sure you've installed Adobe Digital Editions/MS reader/Mobipocket Reader." that's a pretty good sign. If they've got large sections devoted to problems downloading or reading books caused by DRM that an even better sign.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #57
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Everyone else has dropped DRMed MOBI for all future firmware releases.
The BeBook will be offering new firmware updates for DRM MObi AND DRM ADE - just not together. Users will be able to choose which version they want, they can even switch back and forth, but they can't have both at once.
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #58
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsheets View Post
The BeBook will be offering new firmware updates for DRM MObi AND DRM ADE - just not together.
At the moment the latest MOBI DRM firmware for the BeBook One (Hanlin V3) is from February. It would be good news for them to continue to support MOBI DRM, but I don't expect it. For one thing it would allow EZ Reader Basic users to also get an updated MOBI DRM firmware.

Will they be providing MOBI DRM for the BeBook Mini (Hanlin V5) and BeBook 2 as well?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:18 AM   #59
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Will they be providing MOBI DRM for the BeBook Mini (Hanlin V5) and BeBook 2 as well?
Endless Ideas makes no mention of any future BeBook support for MOBI DRM on their web site or their forum, so I think that you are correct in assuming that the 25 February 2009 firmware that they are keeping available (for now) will be the last of the MOBI DRM firmware for the whole BeBook line.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #60
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Welcome Lisa,

I have the older brother of your reader, selected for much the same reasons, though if I wasn't me I would have waited for the "PEZ" or PP.

Ask a heap of questions and discuss whatever is on you mind!
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote