Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
SD Card in the wrong language

I got my pocket pro today. It's lovely and so far works great. My only disappointment was the SD card. Though others who pre-ordered received an SD card with 300 English public domain books, mine is in Chinese. Ironically, my husband is Chinese, but he is not a reader like me, and even if he were I don't want to share my new toy! I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen?
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Hmmm.

Did you pay with a credit card in his name which showed his ethnicity?

Perhaps this was a computer generated assuption.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Since they are public domain materials, I wonder whether you can simply get the correct files emailed to you (or transferred some similar way) by an english-speaking purchaser? (I would do it but my preorder hasn't arrived yet!)

I guess if the card is filled to the max, transferring 1 gig in 10 or 20 mb chunks could get a little tiresome.
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
As I recall the cards are a throw in freebie bonus (un-advertised) and it sounds like it's hit or miss as to which you'll get (a 256MB Chinese books one or a 1GB English books one).

Aren't they just books straight off of PG?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Many of the titles on the English 1G one had the mark of the Gutenberg project.
A few minutes there will fill it up via the web. The entir Science Fiction CD will fit on that card
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Stensie4JC
Book Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Hmmm.

Did you pay with a credit card in his name which showed his ethnicity?

Perhaps this was a computer generated assuption.
Credit cards don't usually list someone's ethnicity, and even if it showed he were ethnically Chinese, that would be no guarantee that he can read Chinese. Anyway, I used my credit card, and though my last name is Chinese my first name is very gringo and wouldn't cause one to assume I was Chinese. I'm guessing it was just an honest mistake and a coincidence.

I know I can get all of the books for free from Gutenberg or similar, I'm more bummed about not getting the card. The card with the Chinese books on it is 256 MB but the card for the English books is 1 GB. I know to buy a 1 gig card is not expensive, but it's not free either. It's no big deal, just more work for me.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Astak does not judge ethnicity

Dear ALL:

Astak should not be judging ethnicity. I do not know how you got the wrong card but let us replace it. Email to Astak: support@astak.com and let us get you the correct English card. Cards are really easy to exchange so do not worry!

I will look into how this works.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
CrimsonCherries
CrimsonCherries began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
I have the same issue as Stensie4JC. I will also email Astak support to exchange my Chinese SD card for the English SD card. I didn't realize we could do that. Thanks!
CrimsonCherries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Robet do the exchange but it might be a good idea to offer a zip archive of the free titles on the ez-reader site. You could offer more than one bundle of public domain titles maybe in a better format than pdb and divided by theme. Science fiction, horror, mystery etc. I think this may have been mentioned before.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Stensie4JC
Book Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear ALL:

Astak should not be judging ethnicity. I do not know how you got the wrong card but let us replace it. Email to Astak: support@astak.com and let us get you the correct English card. Cards are really easy to exchange so do not worry!

I will look into how this works.
Anyone remember the Seinfeld with Donna Chang? Yeah, that's me.

I'm sure they just gave me the wrong card by mistake, and it was a coincidence that my husband is Chinese. I'd say the average American wouldn't be able to tell if my name was Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc just by looking at it. Even a Chinese person, seeing my name written in English as it was on my order, would probably not be able to say for sure. It's not enough to have a Chinese name, I have to have an OBSCURE Chinese name.

I emailed support, so I should be hearing back sooner or later.