Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Reflectivity of 600 vs 505 - pictures

These pictures show that the 600 screen is much more reflective than the 505 screen. The two pictures were taken in the same place holding the two screens in the same position as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0057.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	940.2 KB
ID:	35085   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0058.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	35086  

Last edited by JanetCinNC; 08-28-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: fixed word
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I held the 600, the 300, & the 505 in the same very bright store lights in the same position and found the 600 to have less glare then the 300 and the 505. What I saw on the 600 was like looking at the lights. But on the 400 and 505, I saw bright spots. As far as reading goes, I would able to read with the 600 better than the 300 and 505 with the light bearing right on the screen.

While you may get more reflectivity from the 600, you get more glare from the 300 and 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the pictures, that does look really reflective. So I'm guessing the best way to read it would instead of holding it so that the screen directly faces you, you would need to tilt it towards 45 degrees in order to read it.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Thanks for the pictures, that does look really reflective. So I'm guessing the best way to read it would instead of holding it so that the screen directly faces you, you would need to tilt it towards 45 degrees in order to read it.
Yes, it's easy enough to find an angle that's good for reading. I found it worked best with my Mighty Bright book light angled so there was no "hot spot" from the light. With the light between me and the reader, there were no reflections to distract fom reading.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
These pictures show that the 600 screen is much more reflective than the 505 screen. The two pictures were taken in the same place holding the two screens in the same position as much as possible.
Thanks for the pix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...While you may get more reflectivity from the 600, you get more glare from the 300 and 505.
The impression I get from seeing photos of the 505 is that it has clear glass. Looking at my K1, it's glass seems to more of the non-glare persuasion. Seeing Janet's pix, I get the impression that the glass in the 600 is more like the glass in my K1. That would be congruent with JSWolf's conclusion.

I don't know why I keep reading threads about the 600 reflectivity/contrast--I'm just going to have to see for myself!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert