Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Firefox 3.5 Released

I dropped IE a long time ago and have yet to look back. The change from Firefox 1 to 2 to 3 use great. The change from 3 to 3.5 was astounding. It is over twice as fast. While I once could watch the page load on MobileRead, it now snaps in place. Besides speed the rendering is precise.

I recommend this upgrade.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I have switched from Firefox to Google chrome, and I have no motivation to go back to Firefox.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
@Seabound
If you have no problem with being profiled by google, then chrome is a good choice. You know, that EVERYTHING what you are doing in chrome is logged by Google? Every search, every tip, every page you visited, every thing you bought, ... They will know you better then you yourself.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Yeah, 3.5 is definitely faster. The only thing that bugged me with the upgrade is that my Personal Menu plug-in wasn't supported. Thankfully an update for that was finally released today.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
@Seabound
If you have no problem with being profiled by google, then chrome is a good choice. You know, that EVERYTHING what you are doing in chrome is logged by Google? Every search, every tip, every page you visited, every thing you bought, ... They will know you better then you yourself.
They're doing that already, anyway. I have a Google account.
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 03:10 AM   #6
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
@Seabound
Oh, and please stop trying to alarm me with this big brother thing. I am well aware of what the internet has become. Go find other things to do.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:18 AM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
chrome was okay.

but fixfox had me spoiled with addons.

I just updated to 3.5 yesturday. found a dev build of tab mix plus, and I'm a happy camper
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:37 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks, guys! I was several updates behind! 3.5 is wonderful! And Andy, thanks for the tip about the developer build for TabMix Plus. That add-on alone is worth its weight in pixels! Of course, trying to remember how I like to have it set up is another story...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Firefox 3.5 is made of win and awesome, much like previous versions of Firefox. The only problem I had was that new detaching tab feature; it was waaaaaaay too easy to trigger on accident, and I would end up with a bunch of windows. What REALLY pissed me off is that there is no way to turn it off normally; you have to download this add-on to do it. Like someone said, add-ons are meant to be used to add functionality; they shouldn't be required to get rid of a feature.

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 07-23-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I may try 3.5. I wasn't too impressed with FF3.0. But I doubt it will pull me away from my Opera. I use Opera 10 Beta 2. It's a wonderful browser. I love the mouse gestures, customization. I go and use chrome or IE and i'm lost.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
I'm trying to get used to Opera right now, but am not so fond of it, and since I got Firefox about at the same time I'm focussing mainly on it. (read: I've been told I actually desperately needed to stop using Explorer because my computer just might explode so I installed the two new navigators at the same time and am pretty lost)

I will upgrade Firefox, but can you tell me what you like so much about Opera?
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i am a firefox-lover. i'm wondering why it did not automatically notify me of a new update! i will be downloading now.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #13
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
I'm trying to get used to Opera right now, but am not so fond of it, and since I got Firefox about at the same time I'm focussing mainly on it. (read: I've been told I actually desperately needed to stop using Explorer because my computer just might explode so I installed the two new navigators at the same time and am pretty lost)

I will upgrade Firefox, but can you tell me what you like so much about Opera?
Hold the right mouse button down...and left-click. You go back a page in the browser. LOVE IT. Use it ALL the time. There are more gestures. Do the opposite (hold left-click right to go forward a page--- hold left, move down-left to go all the way back, opposite to go all the way forward, many more)

I love the customizations of the window. tab bar hidden, up top, on bottom, on the right... panels, all toolbars can be whereever you want them.

Small file size. Not the smallest, but quite small nonetheless. Opera 10 was the first to pass 100% on the Acid 3 color test as well.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I may try 3.5. I wasn't too impressed with FF3.0. But I doubt it will pull me away from my Opera. I use Opera 10 Beta 2. It's a wonderful browser. I love the mouse gestures, customization. I go and use chrome or IE and i'm lost.
Firefox is highly customizable itself via the many add-ons/plugins. There are several that will give you mouse gestures for instance (I use the one called "FireGestures").
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 PM   #15
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Firefox is highly customizable itself via the many add-ons/plugins. There are several that will give you mouse gestures for instance (I use the one called "FireGestures").
Yeah. I noticed those back when I was trying out Firefox.

Suffice to say, Opera was the first browser to have Tabs. Opera was the first browser to have Mouse Gestures for quicker/easier surfing. I also believe it was the first fully customizable browser.

Firefox then came out with tabbed browsing (albiet, very crude and it didn't do it like Opera..it wasn't automatic, and you had to 'open in a new tabbed browser'), followed (none-too-shortly-thereafter) by IE. Firefox then had a plug-in that duplicated a few features of the Opera browser, like the mouse gestures. All well and good, and I don't knock them for that. But it stands true that Opera came by these long before the others.

Opera is a pioneering browser. Opera has unique features before the others. It's also a growing browser. I think once Opera 10 hits, it will begin a new life and see a huge rise in popularity.