Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Backlists, Again

In December 2008, Sony offered the free download of a book by L. J. Smith, an author I didn’t know. The book sounded interesting so I tried it, and was pleased to find it was very well written. Apparently this author garnered many fans in the 1990s but her books have been out-of-print until now. One poor woman wrote a fan review of the re-release of Smith’s work saying how it took her five years of searching used book stores to put together a collection of Smith’s work, and expressed her happiness that they were finally being reprinted because her collection had grown “dog-eared” from use.

In all our discussions about how expensive it is for publishers to distribute ebooks there is little mention of the role back-lists like these can play. One of the principle reasons I buy ebook editions is that I’ve run out of shelf space for pbooks. Obviously brick-and-mortar bookstores have the same problem.

What I can’t understand is why publishing houses wouldn’t want to sell their backlists. The cost to store the digital edition of a book is trivial and the “shelf space” for ebook editions would take centuries to fill. So even if they only sell one copy of books like L. J. Smith’s each month until the copyright expires, the sale earns more than the cost of storage and produces revenue from the back-list. The movie industry makes a fortune selling old titles, so why won’t book publishers do it?
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It probably is cheap to "store" an ebook as opposed to pbook, but it needs to be produced in the first place. For most of backlist titles it means scaning/OCRing or retyping the entire text, then proofing, formatting and converting into various ebook formats. While each of these steps might be not that expensive, taken together they're quite a substantial investement.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
There's a lot of NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome in the publishing business. Also, there are rights questions for older works. (Did the original contract contain e-book rights?) Are there ways to do scanning/proofing cheaply (to the publisher)? Yes, but they'd cede control of the process to a third party.

Relevent example, author "X" has fans. Would any of them be willing to do either a scan or a scan proofing for having their name on the e-book in perpertuity? ("This scan for book "Y" was done by fan "A" and "B" ".) Where to scout for this free labor? A wiki entry? Hmmm... (But the scan will be crappy.) (Have you seen some of the commercial scans?) (But it'll be pirated!) (Um, look around you, it'll already been done!) (But, but, I OWN it. You can't touch it!!!!) (<Shrug>, what part of selling something that cost you nothing don't you understand?)

All of it, apparently. Anytime I suggest this, all the people familiar with the publishing industry sneer at this idea.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
If I where you I would take care, as they will approach you with crosses, lots of garlic and pointed wooden stakes.

Having thoughts like that(!), you are proposing devilish ideas indeed my friend.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
It probably is cheap to "store" an ebook as opposed to pbook, but it needs to be produced in the first place. For most of backlist titles it means scaning/OCRing or retyping the entire text, then proofing, formatting and converting into various ebook formats. While each of these steps might be not that expensive, taken together they're quite a substantial investement.
Maybe they should do some of that distributed work force stuff like Amazon (or is it google) does. Have people volunteer to convert books... providing either the original DOC files or whatever. The converter could be paid some price per book based on units sold.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Apparently, the reason Katherine Kurtz's original Deryni trilogy is now available in ebooks (both Amazon and Sony) is one of her fans scanned it in for her. I might be wrong on this, but I believe that a lot of publishers and book printers require the book in electronic format now, so pretty much if you are going to print it, you will need to either provide it in electronic format or having it scanned in.

One of the explanations that I have heard is that many mid level authors view their back list as their 401K. Once they build up enough of a back list and they are reasonably popular, they get a steady income from back listed books being re-printed. They fear that e-books will cause that income to dry up.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote