Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 08:41 AM   #1
wisdomnknowledge
wisdomnknowledge can extract oil from cheesewisdomnknowledge can extract oil from cheesewisdomnknowledge can extract oil from cheesewisdomnknowledge can extract oil from cheesewisdomnknowledge can extract oil from cheesewisdomnknowledge can extract oil from cheesewisdomnknowledge can extract oil from cheesewisdomnknowledge can extract oil from cheese

Device: N/A
Request to Add More Genders in "About Me" Section of Profile Information

"Male" and "Female" are the only gender options. So, I am suggesting the gender options to be more inclusive to people who do not call themselves female nor male. Some people are nonbinary, transgender, and other genders as well.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:53 PM   #2
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Good idea. There are also people who for various reasons -- online privacy comes to mind -- would "prefer not to say" so maybe we could also have that option.
Advert
Old 02-13-2024, 11:09 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
You can leave your gender unselected. It's not mandatory to choose your gender. Well, at least it wasn't when I signed up in 2014 (just looked and mine is not selected).
Old 02-13-2024, 11:54 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Are you asking for MobileRead to offer a menu with choices such as Male, Female, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Pansexual, Two-Spirited, Androgynous, Asexual and any other choices that may be suggested in the future? And, if so, why?

Personally, I do not know nor do I really care about the gender choices made by other MobileRead members. My interaction is with their messages here. One of the great things about the internet is that you don't get to judge people based on any criteria other than their ability to write.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-13-2024 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:35 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This is unlikely to happen due to the ancient software MobileRead runs on.
Advert
Old 02-14-2024, 06:43 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
... why?

Already answered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdomnknowledge View Post
... I am suggesting the gender options to be more inclusive to people who do not call themselves female nor male. ...
Old 02-14-2024, 12:48 PM   #7
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can leave your gender unselected. It's not mandatory to choose your gender. Well, at least it wasn't when I signed up in 2014 (just looked and mine is not selected).
You can still leave it unselected, I haven't set mine either. There's also the custom user title field, which is free text, so there is a workaround for non-conforming gender identities.

Quote:
Personally, I do not know nor do I really care about the gender choices made by other MobileRead members.
So you have recognized that this thread isn't about you, and yet you still felt the need to post.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:44 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
So you have recognized that this thread isn't about you, and yet you still felt the need to post.
Since I am a human being with a gender identity, could you explain how this thread's topic does not include me?

That my personal preference would be to remove the gender item entirely is exactly that. My personal preference.

Am I supposed to care what consenting adults do in private? Is knowing that someone is a polyamorous furry relevant to their posts on MobileRead?
Old 02-14-2024, 02:44 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Since I am a human being with a gender identity, could you explain how this thread's topic does not include me?

That my personal preference would be to remove the gender item entirely is exactly that. My personal preference.

Am I supposed to care what consenting adults do in private? Is knowing that someone is a polyamorous furry relevant to their posts on MobileRead?
Has anyone said/asked anything about what consenting adults do in private, or sexual orientation? I thought the OP asked about gender (no mention of sexual orientation).
Old 02-14-2024, 07:56 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdomnknowledge View Post
"Male" and "Female" are the only gender options. So, I am suggesting the gender options to be more inclusive to people who do not call themselves female nor male. Some people are nonbinary, transgender, and other genders as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Has anyone said/asked anything about what consenting adults do in private, or sexual orientation? I thought the OP asked about gender (no mention of sexual orientation).
Please try reading and comprehending the quote from the OP's original message with my added highlighting quoted in this message.

Are you attempting to say that what the OP wrote does not qualify as asking to have sexual orientation as part of gender? Gender once used to mean male or female but that meaning has been warped through the years to the point where gender is now used to refer social and cultural differences rather than biological ones and/or to a range of identities that are not not the traditional male and female.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-14-2024 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:59 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

And I am also rather curious as to why I've had to write this message multiple times. It seems as if my reply is being deleted though I'm tempted to apply Hanlon's Razor.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:35 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Please try reading and comprehending the quote from the OP's original message with my added highlighting quoted in this message.

Are you attempting to say that what the OP wrote does not qualify as asking to have sexual orientation as part of gender? Gender once used to mean male or female but that meaning has been warped through the years to the point where gender is now used to refer social and cultural differences rather than biological ones and/or to a range of identities that are not not the traditional male and female.
I believe there are two different things: gender and sexual orientation. And by sexual orientation, I mean preferences for sexual intercourse/relations. I believe, from your quote of the OP (and your bolding), the OP was referring to gender, and you are referring to both.

I would be interested in how others interpreted the OP's post (including the OP).
Old 02-14-2024, 08:57 PM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
And I am also rather curious as to why I've had to write this message multiple times. It seems as if my reply is being deleted though I'm tempted to apply Hanlon's Razor.
  • Please don't discuss moderation on the boards. Check the guidelines. If you've got an issue, PM a mod. But since you asked....
  • I'm tempted to apply the definition of idiocy, myself, to the repostings. Certainly there was no malice involved nor incompetence at the editing end. One post was deleted for sheer offensiveness and pugnacity and the second because it was largely a repost.
  • Once a green has ruled on something, it's time to let it go. And if a post has been deleted, don't just assume you can come back with the same or similar comment.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:33 PM   #14
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
That part of the form is optional? Good to know, I've been many other places where there were just two choices and it was mandatory to pick one, otherwise you couldn't proceed. Too bad others can't be added but yeah, old software can indeed be tetchy. Best not to fiddle with it any more than one absolutely has to.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:39 PM   #15
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
There are actually three choices on that form--it just isn't obvious--the blank line on the top of the drop down is selectable. If you do so, the "Gender" item in you profile will show "N/A".

I leave to the collective imagination possible interpretations of "N/A" in this context.
Closed Thread