Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-24-2023, 07:43 AM   #1
aero31aero
aero31aero began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
Regarding ReCaptcha and its usage

I get that its required while registration, but for several readers, its a real PITA to have to pass the reCaptcha check before posting a new reply.

My experience just now was that I signed up to Mobileread after way too many years of lurking, but I spent 5+ attempts trying to pass the reCaptcha to post a reply, to the point I first gave up on it altogether and closed the tab.

Having it on every new reply doesn't make sense when you already know the user is a real human (since the user passed the reCaptcha check at registration). Even that is a hurdle for some people, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ight=recaptcha , but that's a one-off case and understandable.

My device/browser: Firefox on Archlinux with uBlock origin installed.

Now, onto trying to pass the recaptcha again to post this..

ETA: I had to first select crosswalks from 9 images, but selecting them made them get updated with new images for upto 3 times, then I had to select all squares with motorcycles, then, motorcycles again, and then, select fire hydrants from 9 images. So, 4 different captcha tests JUST to post a single reply.... and damn, while I wrote this, it says "verification expired. check the checkbox again. This time I got crosswalks, cars and fire hydrants.

This would also hit people who pass the captcha and then decide to edit the content of their post a little bit more.
aero31aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 11:04 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Clicking the box to "Remember Me" will avoid needing to login and use ReCaptcha for each new post. Most people never see ReCaptcha after registration.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-24-2023 at 01:47 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2023, 03:17 PM   #3
aero31aero
aero31aero began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
I read this exact advice on another thread, and thus logged out (after registration, so I technically hadn't 'logged in' yet), and logged in again. Still faced the reCaptchas.

Maybe some bug in the implementation?
aero31aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 04:12 PM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It should stop testing you after you reach a certain post count. I think it stopped harassing me after like 50 posts, which seemed way too high IMO, but at least it did eventually stop.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote