Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2022, 11:01 AM   #1
C.Bandicoot
C.Bandicoot began at the beginning.

Device: K5 (Touch)
Usbnet port 22 unreachable

Hi,
I got my hands on an old Kindle Touch for 5 bucks and followed the instructions here so far without the slightest issue.

Now I would love to be able to access the device via ssh for coding but I'm facing a few issues in the readme of the usbnet hack.

I was able to follow the instructions, installed usbnet, set up keypairs, copied the pub key into usbnet/etc/authorized_keys
So far so good but now I'm at the point where I need to know the name of the usb interface and where I have to "configure the network interface manually via OS X's GUI ".

I'm using Big Sur Mac OS 11 in the settings under network I do see the device as RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget but if I set the config to manual and the IP address to 192.168.15.201 (which is what I set in the configs) it shows that another device is already using that ip - if I change it to ...15.244 or whatever its the same so I guess something is going wrong here already.

Then I don't really know how to find the usb interface name because the grep command described in the readme returns nothing indicating that there was no system message about the device.

I can see USBNetwork in KUAL and use all settings there just fine but it seems that the device is not using the correct IP address as I looked into my router and searched for the devices mac address from the device settings menu and found that its using a different IP address
I can ssh to that ip address, but then its asking me for a password so the key-login might not be set up correctly there or so.

If anyone would have any hints for me on where I can try to go on that would be super nice. Thanks in advance!
C.Bandicoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:38 AM   #2
C.Bandicoot
C.Bandicoot began at the beginning.

Device: K5 (Touch)
And just that I published this question, I found an old thread with the solution.

In the readme the following is linked:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=13
Which states "Except, well, with the IP that matches your config. ...(i.e., set the IP to 192.168.15.201 instead)."

That confused me as I thought this means I got to use 192.168.15.201 but I finally saw the link to the original thread of that in the top corner which leads to here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=201572
where there is a good summary in the spoiler of the first post
there its stated to use 192.168.15.1
so I did and finally it worked.

I am now able to ssh into the kind but do I have to do the
# ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201
and
# ifconfig usb0 down

part too? the readme is not so clear about what that does or if its just for linux (which is my guess that its the mount part or so for linux)
C.Bandicoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
ssh, usb network, usbnet