Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Maggie
Maggie began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Can I convert Adobe digital .epub files to read on my Cybook?

I've just purchased a couple of books in the .epub format, thinking they were Adobe .pdf's and would convert using Mobipocket creator into mobi files to read on my Cybook, but creator doesn't recognised the files to convert them. They seem to be a secure form of .pdf and are only readable on Adobe Digital, which I've downloaded to my main PC.
Is there anyway I can convert them so that I can make them into non-secure pdf's or convert them to mobi files so that I can read them on my Cybook?
If not, is it likely there will be a convert process in the future?
Is it likely Cybook maybe open Adobe Digital format in a future release?
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
I've just purchased a couple of books in the .epub format, thinking they were Adobe .pdf's and would convert using Mobipocket creator into mobi files to read on my Cybook, but creator doesn't recognised the files to convert them. They seem to be a secure form of .pdf and are only readable on Adobe Digital, which I've downloaded to my main PC.
Is there anyway I can convert them so that I can make them into non-secure pdf's or convert them to mobi files so that I can read them on my Cybook?
If not, is it likely there will be a convert process in the future?
Is it likely Cybook maybe open Adobe Digital format in a future release?
When you purchase Adobe ePub or PDF, they will be chock full of yummy DRM. You cannot convert either to anything you can use on a Gen3. As of right now, the only units that can read those would be the Sony PRS-505 and Sony PRS-700. So even if you didn't purchase ePub by mistake, the DRM laden PDF would still have done you no good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MobiPocket Windows Desktop Reader does a reasonably good job converting DRM-free ePub to MOBI, so your entire problem is the DRM. This has not been cracked for Adobe PDF or Adobe ePub ebooks.

MobiPocket still requires DRM exclusivity when it licences its reader for a dedicated reading device. So Adobe Digital Editions is unlikely to be available on the Cybook. A DRM-free ePub reader would be possible on the Cybook, but note that existing ePub readers for handheld devices, with the exception of ADE, are not full-featured.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
There is at least one source of DRM-free EPUB files -www.panmacmillan.com
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote