Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
lytton
lytton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Exclamation PC or Mac has no responses at all!!!!!

Hi everybody, I am a new 505 user. I bought it 3 month ago, and it works very well expect this, about a month ago, when I connected it to PC through USB port, my PC has no responses at all. I mean, 505 showed that "USB connected" but no device found by PC. I tried with my Mac as well, same thing. I tried with different USB cable, same thing.

so, anyone has any idea what might be the problem???

Thanks a loooooooooooooot!!!
lytton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lytton View Post
so, anyone has any idea what might be the problem???
Reboot the reader and try it again. I think this happened to my 500 once or twice and a hard reset always seemed to fix it.

How long did you wait for a response. Sometimes it takes a minute or so. Did you see the USB storage device in the task tray appear?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
lytton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Reboot the reader and try it again. I think this happened to my 500 once or twice and a hard reset always seemed to fix it.

How long did you wait for a response. Sometimes it takes a minute or so. Did you see the USB storage device in the task tray appear?

BOb
yeah, I waited for a while, but nothing shows, even the USB storage device in the task tray, that means nothing to do with drivers, seems my PC or Mac doesn't communicate with 505.

ok, I'll try to hard reset again..

Thanks~~
Old 10-11-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Does it appear as removable storage on your PC? Does calibre see your PRS-505?
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The most likely culprit, if it's happening on two different machines, is that your USB cable is faulty. Do you have a different mini-USB cable that you could try it with?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
lytton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Does it appear as removable storage on your PC? Does calibre see your PRS-505?
no, if it shown as an removable storage on my PC or Mac, I don't have to be worried.

thanks~
Old 10-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
lytton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The most likely culprit, if it's happening on two different machines, is that your USB cable is faulty. Do you have a different mini-USB cable that you could try it with?
yes, I did try out different cables, but no difference.

thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As you connect your reader to your computer, take a close look at the indicator light beside the reader's on/off switch. This should flash orange right after you connect it when the reader is accessing your computer. A few moments after that, it should be red if your reader is charging. Does your indicator light come on at all?
Old 10-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #9
lytton

Quote:
As you connect your reader to your computer, take a close look at the indicator light beside the reader's on/off switch. This should flash orange right after you connect it when the reader is accessing your computer. A few moments after that, it should be red if your reader is charging. Does your indicator light come on at all?
No, my indicator light did't light up, well, does that mean my USB port has problem?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
No, my indicator light did't light up, well, does that mean my USB port has problem?

Thanks
If the indicator light doesn't light up even to charge, then yes, your reader's USB port might be broken. You might want to contact Sony support, tell them your reader is broken, and hopefully they'll do something about it. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:53 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If the indicator light doesn't light up even to charge, then yes, your reader's USB port might be broken. You might want to contact Sony support, tell them your reader is broken, and hopefully they'll do something about it. Good luck!
Agreed. Seems like an odd thing to break. However, I am appalled at the number of people I see that "wiggle" USB cables when they pull them out. That can very easily break the solder joints that hold the port to the PCB. Just pull the thing out with one single motion exactly the opposite way you instered it.

Perhaps if you know someone that is a bit handy with electronics they can open it up and check the solder joints on the USB port and resolder them if they are broken.

BOb

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:08 AM   #12
lytton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Agreed. Seems like an odd thing to break. However, I am appalled at the number of people I see that "wiggle" USB cables when they pull them out. That can very easily break the solder joints that hold the port to the PCB. Just pull the thing out with one single motion exactly the opposite way you instered it.

Perhaps if you know someone that is a bit handy with electronics they can open it up and check the solder joints on the USB port and resolder them if they are broken.

BOb

BOb

Thanks guys~

I think I will try the SONY service first, but the odd thing is I bought it in states and I'm living in Canada, I'll see if they can fix it with free of charge.

Well, I probably gonna open it if I can find some handy tools to un-hook the power switch

thanks again~
Old 10-28-2008, 02:55 AM   #13
lytton

Well, I called sony canada last week, eventually, they can repair my reader with no charge. I just send my reader to the service center, hope I can get it back soon~~

thanks everyone~
Old 10-28-2008, 04:00 AM   #14
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Well, I called sony canada last week, eventually, they can repair my reader with no charge. I just send my reader to the service center, hope I can get it back soon~~

thanks everyone~
That's good news, lytton. Make sure you follow up with them if you think it's taking too long. In the meantime, you can read pBooks.