Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The JBL screen has a contrast of 12:1. I couldn't find a figure on reflectance.
Is a high or a low reflectance good? A screen that reflected 100% of the light hitting it would just be a mirror, so I'm guessing that low is good?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #17
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'd still love to see a solar-powered ereader. That way I might still be able to read them after the collapse of civilisation. Or maybe just without polluting and inefficient battery technology. I guess it's fairly unlikely that a CPU capable of handling the processing would work at solar power levels, and the file storage might also be a problem. Still, maybe solar-assisted?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #18
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is a high or a low reflectance good? A screen that reflected 100% of the light hitting it would just be a mirror, so I'm guessing that low is good?
Well, think of it this way: bleached white paper has a significantly higher reflectance than newsprint.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #19
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
earl comes with solar charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I'd still love to see a solar-powered ereader. That way I might still be able to read them after the collapse of civilisation. Or maybe just without polluting and inefficient battery technology. I guess it's fairly unlikely that a CPU capable of handling the processing would work at solar power levels, and the file storage might also be a problem. Still, maybe solar-assisted?
the upcoming earl eink tablet will come with solar charging.
meetearl.com
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
High reflectance is good. A good quality Aluminium-based mirror has a reflectance of around 90%, but high quality white paper can high reflectance of 90-100%*. But white paper doesn't look like a mirror because of the way the light is reflected from the surface of the paper.

Reflective LCDs have poor reflectance because of the polarisers needed for their operation, which cut down the light by 50% immediately.

A 40% reflectance for an LCD (which is claimed for their eReader sized display) would be excellent.

*Some papers are listed as having more than 100% reflectance, because they contain optical whiteners that convert ultra-violet light falling on them into visible light.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #21
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
*Some papers are listed as having more than 100% reflectance, because they contain optical whiteners that convert ultra-violet light falling on them into visible light.
Specifically blue light, which is why we can have white paper.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #22
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
The JBL screen has a contrast of 12:1. I couldn't find a figure on reflectance.
Thanks, Paul!

The JBL has very black text against a fairly dark background; so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that its contrast is not great.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:59 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks, Paul!

The JBL has very black text against a fairly dark background; so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that its contrast is not great.
The fairly dark background shows a low reflectance, which contributes a lot to the low contrast.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:15 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
High reflectance is good. A good quality Aluminium-based mirror has a reflectance of around 90%, but high quality white paper can high reflectance of 90-100%*. But white paper doesn't look like a mirror because of the way the light is reflected from the surface of the paper.
Thanks. So reflectance is not a measure of how shiny a screen is, but how white it appears when illuminated by white light? High reflectance = a whiter background?
Old 01-21-2014, 04:17 AM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Thanks. So reflectance is not a measure of how shiny a screen is, but how white it appears when illuminated by white light? High reflectance = a whiter background?
In the way you're using whiteness, yes. But Whiteness is actually a separate measure.

Reflectance is a measure of how much incident light is reflected by a surface. It says nothing about how it is reflected - whether smoothly like a mirror, or randomly like a piece of paper.

Whiteness is a measure of how evenly a surface reflects light across the visible spectrum.

Gold, for example, has a very high reflectance, but very low whiteness, since it reflects blue light much less well than red light.

A display for use without a built-in light source, i.e. that relies on ambient light, should have a high reflectance, a high whiteness, and high contrast.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:23 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you - that's very helpful.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #27
mikij1
Connoisseur
mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
No company has shown interest in these screens for his ereaders, am I right?

Mirasol, E Ink Triton, Bridgeston, Liquavista, Pixel Qi...

I lost faith in ink and color displays on ereaders.
mikij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij1 View Post

Mirasol was used in an eReader, but unfortunately it proved to have a very poor viewing angle. It also had a front-light in a rather clunky way.

E-Ink Triton has also been used in eReaders, but is low-res and rather dark.

Bridgestone gave up on their display technology in 2012. I don't know if they sold the technology to anyone. It's a shame - they had large, flexible, colour displays.

Liquavista were bought by Amazon in May 2013. The technology was pretty far advanced, so I'm hoping that Amazon will use it in a ereader in the next year or so.

Pixel Qi have concentrated on replacement laptop and tablet displays. While the combination of hi-res reflective B&W with low-res transmissive colour is very clever, I don't think it's really suitable as an ereader display.

Liquavista still seems to be a good bet, but will almost certainly only be available in Kindles, if at all, but these new displays from Japan displays could be very good for someone. Kobo, perhaps?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #29
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij1 View Post

Me too, I followed these for years only to be disappointed. In the meantime, LCD devices have improved dramatically. They are good enough that I simply don't have much personal need for such technology anymore and neither do most other people. I still find it interesting, but I'm not holding my breath.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #30
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Actually, I think that the quality and performance of current E-ink technology is more than sufficient to enjoy (non-technical) books.
On the contrary, a cheap good-quality reflective LCD display would bring a real revolution to laptops and tablets. Such a screen would double battery life, be usable in full daylight and avoid eye strain, all at the same time. Without the limitations of E-ink (i.e., black-and-white and low frame rate). I would love to have such a display on my laptop!
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote